Can I get some input on what breed she is, Please?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by emvickrey, Jul 14, 2010.

1. emvickrey

emvickrey ChowDown Silkie Farm

Mar 5, 2009
    Hornbeak, Tennessee
    I bought 8 RIR pullets this spring and I have 3 that don't look like the rest. This one has the most spots. They are mostly red but they have some black spots that the feather is laced with white. Kinda looks like eyeballs without an iris. The other two have the same spots just not as many. Are these RIR's or are they mixed?

[​IMG]
    By emvickrey at 2010-07-14

2. Mother of All

Mother of All Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Millbrook
    I think they are RIR mix. good luck

3. MrChicken207

MrChicken207 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2010
    Caribou, Maine
    I can't see the pic, because I'm at work, but the description leads me to pose the question... could they be Speckled Sussex?

4. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    Quote:LOL I can tell you right now...that is not a Speckled Sussex. ( MrChicken,can't wait until you get the see the pic) It is definitely a RIR cross, but what it's crossed with, I have no idea. It's a very interesting looking bird though.

5. emvickrey

Mar 5, 2009
    Hornbeak, Tennessee
    What breed of chickens have what looks like eyes on their feathers. I just want them for their eggs anyway but i'm just curious.

6. MrChicken207

MrChicken207 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2010
    Caribou, Maine
    I see what you mean now. It probably is a mix of some sort, but the coloration seems pretty neat.

7. emvickrey

Mar 5, 2009
    Hornbeak, Tennessee
    They are pretty but are suppose to be RIR's. It will have to be ok since I have them already. We just wanted them for eggs anyway.

8. Dominickers

Dominickers New Egg

Jul 17, 2010
    My guess is RIR with silver laced perhaps [​IMG]? pretty cool looking if you ask me.

9. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:LOL I can tell you right now...that is not a Speckled Sussex. ( MrChicken,can't wait until you get the see the pic) It is definitely a RIR cross, but what it's crossed with, I have no idea. It's a very interesting looking bird though.

To be up most honest it could be a Speckled Sussex cross just as much as it could be a Rhode Island Red cross.

Any was it is not a Pure Rhode Island Red. Could be a Speckled Sussex / Rhode Island Red cross.

Chris

10. emvickrey

Mar 5, 2009
    Hornbeak, Tennessee
    Thats probably it. Crossed with speckled sussex. They are very pretty. Kinda like getting that surprise egg in with a shippment of of eggs you know what they are. The toy in the Cracker Jack box. [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by