Can I get the poultry judging standards online?

In Dairy 4H, our state extension office has official purebred standard info to help students ( or anyone!) learn judging and what to look for in a purebred animal, plus comparison photos to really help the process. isn't there something similar with chickens sponsored by a state university? or isn't there a reason to judge chickens?
It seems odd that newbies have to *buy the book* to learn.

Sonoran Silkies: Copyright laws allow exerpts to be copied. The amount of information in the post is well within these parameters.

Yes, 100% correct. This one is not even close to being an infringement, & there is no reason to obtain permission from anyone.

Anyone who grows in the hobby will eventually purchase themselves a copy. Isn't there a new Standard of Perfection being published soon? If yes and relatively soon, someone brand new to the hobby might want to wait to purchase a copy unless for some reason, they are in a hurry. Does anyone know when the next edition is due out?​

they'reHISchickens :

In Dairy 4H, our state extension office has official purebred standard info to help students ( or anyone!) learn judging and what to look for in a purebred animal, plus comparison photos to really help the process. isn't there something similar with chickens sponsored by a state university? or isn't there a reason to judge chickens?
It seems odd that newbies have to *buy the book* to learn.

If the State/University Extension office does not have a copy, quite likely the Poultry Project Leader will have one.

Isn't the new version out YET!?!?!
rant.gif

Ok, so to re-cap for the un-knowing newbie here,
The "Standard of Perfection" book has everything you need to know.
The ABA is for Bantams only and the APA is for everything else.
But, there is a new edition due out any day now, so we might as well wait.
Am I right?

Does the SOP cover showing requirements? Not for judging, but procedure-wise? I've heard talk about testing requirements, memership, etc. All I'm familiar with is showing horses. I have no clue about poultry. Is there a thread somewhere about the basics of showing? I've searched, but had no luck.

Quote:
The "Standard of Perfection" book has everything you need to know

Yes

ABA is bantams only and the APA has Large fowl, Bantams, Turkey, and water fowl.

As far as I know yes
Does the SOP cover showing requirements?

No different shows will have different requierments.
I've heard talk about testing requirements

most shows require you to have your birds NPIP tested.

Chris​

Last edited:
Quote:
The "Standard of Perfection" book has everything you need to know

Yes

ABA is bantams only and the APA has Large fowl, Bantams, Turkey, and water fowl.

As far as I know yes

Chris​

The Bantam Standard includes bantam ducks.

Show requirements are not included as every state has different requirements regarding testing; also, each club can run their shows as they see fit--the number of judges they hire, whether it is a one day or two day show, or even longer, whether there is or is not a separate youth category, and if so, how it is run, what if any additional competitions occur (pigeon show, gamebird show, showmanship, etc.) Youth is a good case in point in that I have never seen two clubs run it the same. I have seen it where it is an entirely separate show, birds are entered in either open or in youth; I have seen it where youth must pick one of their birds who did not win division or above in open and then compete against one bird from each youth who chooses to do so; I have seen no youth show; I have seen youth entries compete both as open and as youth.

Really, about the only thing that is always identical from one show to another is the use of licensed judges (we are only talking sanctioned shows here), judging according the the APA & ABA standards and following ABA & APA rules. I have never heard of a show that was limited to members only, but there is no reason a club couldn't--usually they are happy to have new people come.​

Quote:
Here's what I meant when I asked. With the horses, to show in a sanctioned show, you typically have to be a member of that breed's association. So, would you have to be a member of the APA or ABA? Or do they even have memberships? Can you tell I have NO IDEA about any of this.

Neither ABA nor APA require anyone to be a member, although they do encourage it. For some shows ABA or APA offer awards and prizes, but one must be a member to receive them. Points are collected and tallied only for members, but that is not for placement at an individual show, but rather a tally of points earned at all sanctioned shows you enter.

Back
Top Bottom