Can I give baby chicks ants or worms?

We have a terrible ant problem around here, if they are not after protein, they are after water, DS22 was wondering why none of the ants had invaded the water supplies in the coop/run because the ant invasion is constant in the parrot cages.

Then we got to watch the Delightful Dozen out in the yard for the "Chicken Hour" where we sit in our coop (gazebo) and watch the Delightful Dozen roam and range.

Now we know, the ants are little appetizers! Our pure white EE seems to relish the taste, though she does need a good drink of water after eating at the ant hill. LOL

So now we know, the water attracts the ants and the Delightful Dozen dine well!

I've never eaten an ant, so I can't attest to the flavor. I dare say that chicken's taste buds aren't the same as ours though. At 3 weeks old, mine found a little ant trail through their chicken yard and you would have thought they found a delicacy. The went crazy eating as many ants as they could find. They also eat the occasional roach that makes it into their coop. I haven't fed them insects as treats - they seem to find plenty on their own!

Penny

Quote:
*NOTE* I didn't say they shouldn't have ants, I said they'll find plenty of em when they go outside to play.

I thought the same about ants when one day I was buring wood in the fire pit and chopping it all up...I came across a rotten log and chopped it open and out spilled like a MILLION Carpenter Ants came pouring out...my girls gobbled them all UP. I'd never seen them eat the small tiny ants...this was a complete feeding frenzy. I was so worried about them...but they were fine.

Did you know that there are over 20,000 different ant species in the world??

D.gif

A fly got into the brooder a couple of days ago and kept trying to eat the crumbles from the feeder-- poor fly. I let mine out into the garden too, they'll actually check under the leaves for caterpillars, aphids and who knows what else. It's like having my own squad of little gardeners. I give them some treats too. Onion sprouts are favourites as are grapes. It is funny to watch them play 'chase the chick with whatever it is'. I don't think they even know what they're chasing most of the time. I've also given them a few seeds, mostly small vermifugals like dill and mustard. The get plenty of grit, so I'm not too worried about digestion and it's good practice for later. The seeds are especially nice, since they're scratching all the time anyway. It gives them something to look forward too after all that effort.

What kind of ants do you guys have that chicks will eat?? It must not be the same kind I'm thinking of. My chicks won't touch them...and I can't imagine ANYTHING eating them after my own experiences.
lol.png
lol.png
The carpenter ants don't surprise me, but the little ones. Are they red? Brown? Black? I wish mine weren't so nasty tasting, they are all over my house and it would be nice if somebody would eat them. lol

^^That makes sense. Fire ants don't seem to have as potent an acid as sugar ants do. I guess it's because they can sting MUCH better than my helpless sugar ants can. lol

I'm treat guilty.....I gave my girls their first garden worms at about two weeks, they're five weeks now. Last nite I went out and caught them these little, green grasshoppers....because they've come back again this year and I'm determined not to let them ruin my tomatoes.
barnie.gif
They loved 'em!!! It was funny watching them chase them around....they gobbled them up. My girls eat the occassional ant that wanders through the coop and I've had no problems. Hope this helps.
yippiechickie.gif
Night not nite

Back
Top Bottom