Can I give my 3 week old chicks some table scraps yet?

This sounded interesting the avocado Peel. I searched it up and it says the the peel is Toxic but the flesh is good for chickens. I'm a newbie I don't know lot so I searched that up

Get a little chick grit into them first. I put a small pile, or two on their freshly cleaned brooder floor, and they scarf it down. I repeat it the next day. I agree with what CindyinSD said. It's good advice.

A good rule of thumb is do not give more than 10% treats. If they eat 1/2 cup of food per day, the treat should be something like 2 teaspoons. Small seeds like millet or niger are very popular with all birds. Greens like sprouted chia seed is great, or alfalfa sprouts. Dylan the grey parrot in my avatar loves almonds, one is her treat for the day. A 3 week old chick probably could not eat nuts unless you chopped it fine. Small weeds pulled from the garden, including dirt, is popular with chicks, too. They do need grit if you give them seeds. Dirt has things in it like small grit and microbes that are good for chicks. Young chicks need high protien in their feed, so to much treats is diluting that protein, so that is why to limit the treats to 10% of their feed. It is fun to put a tsp. of millet in your palm and let them eat out of your hand!

Back
Top Bottom