Can I have an outdoor brooder without electricity?

anj24

Hatching
5 Years
Mar 4, 2014
Newbie here. I really wanted to purchase older pullets that were coop ready since I have no experience with chicks or indoor space to put them. That is proving to be cost restrictive, though since I want certain breeds and numbers. If I wait until summer, can I brood the chicks outdoors without a heat lamp? By outdoors I mean on my covered patio. I'm looking to get 20-25 chicks. Thanks for your help!

It's gonna be very hard without any heat source. I would put them under a regular bulk (60 w maybe) for at least a few weeks, no matter what time of the year it is. Can't you find a place inside for maybe 2 weeks?

Where do you live? Summers in August were I live are lows in 90s at 2am lol. I could definately brood chicks without a heat source in the summer in Central Texas.

Northeast Texas, so yeah, I was thinking it was possible
cool.png
I could run a bulb out onto the patio, though. Would a kiddie pool (5 ft or so) be big enough for 25 chicks?

They will outgrow a kiddie pool in no time. Its just not deep enough. Look for someone getting rid of a horse/cattle water trough or build a 4x6x2 box out of plywood.

You said the patio was covered but did you mean completely enclosed with screen? If not, you will need to protect the chicks from
neighborhood cats and other varmits that may be prowling around.
hide.gif

The patio isn't screened in, but if I used something deep like a feeding trough and covered it with hardware cloth, would that provide enough protection? And ventilation?

I agree, think a lot about keeping predators out. They are pretty helpless and it is very discouraging to lose many in a single attack.

Believe me, you'll sleep better if you have taken lots of precautions to keep them safe. That's why I think a light bulb is a good precaution also, for just a short while until they get some size and feathers. Even summer nights can get chilly for a small chick, but they rapidly grow past that. If you can provide some heat, you can also start your project a little earlier in the year.

Back
Top Bottom