can i have one drake with only one female

I have two Pekins about 1 year 4 months old. One is a drake, one is a female. Although her head is bald, there is no bleeding. He mates a lot with her. He’s defensive. It depends on how your drake is. If he’s full on attacking, he’ll be harsher with your female during mating, possibly leading to even drowning or even death from mating. Be careful! If he’s a gentleman, he will be more calm with both you and her. He won’t stress the duck out, won’t make her bald as much, and the possibilities of drowning her will decrease. I got six more ducks (oldest is 7 weeks) for my female because mating is getting out of hand.
Mating will be the most harsh during mating season (I think it’s December - May) so get ducks BEFORE or AFTER, that way when mating season comes your ducklings will be grown up. One drake can hold 3-5 ducks, just depends on how mature he is. So if you have two drakes and 3-5 ducks there will be lots of fighting, possibly even death while fighting.

Good luck and don’t they grow fast!?

I have two Pekins about 1 year 4 months old. One is a drake, one is a female. Although her head is bald, there is no bleeding. He mates a lot with her. He’s defensive. It depends on how your drake is. If he’s full on attacking, he’ll be harsher with your female during mating, possibly leading to even drowning or even death from mating. Be careful! If he’s a gentleman, he will be more calm with both you and her. He won’t stress the duck out, won’t make her bald as much, and the possibilities of drowning her will decrease. I got six more ducks (oldest is 7 weeks) for my female because mating is getting out of hand.
Mating will be the most harsh during mating season (I think it’s December - May) so get ducks BEFORE or AFTER, that way when mating season comes your ducklings will be grown up. One drake can hold 3-5 ducks, just depends on how mature he is. So if you have two drakes and 3-5 ducks there will be lots of fighting, possibly even death while fighting.

Good luck and don’t they grow fast!?
He is a very calm boy, he will sit on my lap and fall asleep :,)) i plan to watch the behavior and go from there, if i need more ducks i will without a doubt get some, and yes it is CRAZY how fast they grow!!

He is a very calm boy, i plan to watch the behavior and go from there, if i need more ducks i will without a doubt get some, and yes it is CRAZY how fast they grow!!
Also it’s good to train the male. Every night, give them romaine lettuce. Watch him. If he eats all he can he likes it. Keep experimenting with treats until you find what he likes. But for an example, I’ll say “Frank” loves peas. So frank is a nice gentleman. But I want him to stay like that, right? So if he loves peas, let’s get on with the training. You’ll need, of course, his favorite treat. In franks case like I said is peas.
So always defrost the peas. Then you will need a clicker or your mouth to get that clicking sound, or just simply say good.

Now, onto the training.
Take him out of his coop. If he struggles with you, say a phrase. For me, it’s “big men don’t throw tantrums”. This is your first training. Every time he stops, give him a pea. Walk towards the coop then away from it. Again, if he throws “tantrums” with you, say your phrase and if he stops whenever, give him the pea. Now, do it again. But whenever he stops, give him the pea, use the clicker or say “Good.” Continue until as soon as you say that he stops.

Another training, to make him stay like a gentleman. This one depends on how hard it is. If he’s always naughty it’s going to be extremely hard, but if he’s always nice it’s going to be easy. So you know it depends how. Whenever he acts good to you, give him a pea, and say “Good.” Or use the clicker. Keep on doing it. This will take longer because how they think, is that wherever you fix there attitude, for example, the coop, they are going to act correctly in there, but not in others places. Some drakes think this, some don’t.

Last edited:
Those are some beautiful runners you have!:love
It is possible to keep just one drake and hen together but Its not recommended. I did this last season with my mallards, Mallory and Quackers, and poor Mallory was overmated. I would most definitely recommend getting a few more babies. Either buy them sexed from a hatchery or take the risk of picking some from the store, but be prepared for them possibly being drakes and needing rehomed then:)

Back
Top Bottom