Can I have small river/landscaping stones as a bed for my run?

mweyna

Hatching
8 Years
Aug 4, 2011
I'm new to the chicken dance. I have 5 birds looking to move to an outside coop and run in about a month. The area I have is a great spot and will allow plenty of movement. But the surface is stones. The friendly chicken guy @ the feed store had reservations about the stony landscape for the newer birds sighting that the feet may not develop correctly. I had a question about being able to clean the run of poop. If it was wedged in the nooks and cranies of the small stones how could I rake is clean? Thinking a spray down from a hose was not going to be good enough, worried, I assumed the back-breaking task of removing all the stones and found the classic Northern California clay underneth. Then, I started to do so reading about "Muddy Runs" and all the problems with that. Now I wish I had not moved the stones. At least the stones would have allowed some drainage during the Napa Valley rainy season.
Can anyone lend a hand on this topic? Maybe I'm over thinking this whole thing? Many thanks
MWEYNA

I'm not really sure about your question maybe someone else can give you an answer!!
welcome-byc.gif

Quote:
You could put the stones back as a base and then add sand layered on top for a way to have good drainage and also be able to easily rake the poop out. I use crusher run in my runs and add sand and also leaves in the fall. It drains well and is very easy to rake clean regularly. Sometimes I even put extra pine shavings in just to give them something to scratch in.
WELCOME TO BYC!!!!!!!!

Hello
welcome-byc.gif

ah the run issue rears it's ugly head again! I also have clay ( tn here lots of rocks too! ) I myself am fighting with slick run, mines down hill too! I want to do the small rocks and then sand. I have a small stream at the bottom of
my ravine to get it from. Most of the BYC'rs use this method, I am working towards it. You can also use pine shavings, but that's gonna be alot of work and money. I would stay away from hay and straw. And clay! It's not fun falling in the run, they will try to find out if you taste good! Good luck and let us know what you decide and get some pics of it.
big_smile.png

frow.gif
Hello and welcome to BYC! I personally would take the stones out. We have river rock that needed to be moved. We have construction sand underneath. They could hurt their feet scratching the stones or chip their beak by pecking at it. My RIR actually chipped her beak while along side the house on the river rock. It's not bad and will grow back. I've heard of other chickens cracking their beaks, but I'm not entirely sure how. Good luck.

Quote:
Agreed. And it's probably not the best surface for them all the time anyway. I wouldn't think it'd be comfortable walking on rounded rocks all day. Plus they like to dig holes for dust bathing. Now that you have the stones out I'd go with a layer of sand and you should be fine provided your run isn't in a low spot.

Back
Top Bottom