Can I have three drakes and everyone get along?

Younger

Chirping
6 Years
Mar 4, 2013
Hamilton, Ontario Canada
Hi all

I am new to ducking and purchased my first three ducklings 3 weeks ago tomorrow. I love them to bits (even the mess). They told me they can't sex ducks when they are young. I have read that you should have 1 drake to 2 ducks, which would be perfect. Also, if I had three ducks that would also be great. What if I have two drakes? won't they wear the poor duck out? Could three drakes live in harmony?
Thanks, anxiously awaiting the time I can sex them as I am getting more fond of them every day and would be horrified if I have to give one away.

you know what it will be awhile before you have to worry about this why not just enjoy them now as babies and maybe it will turn out for the best 2ducks and 1 drake. or 3 ducks or 3 drakes. you can always decide what best when they are older. your worrying instead of enjoying.
wink.png
Can you keep three drakes together with no females?

Thanks for info. Was afraid of that. Didn't know if they would fight if I didn't have any females around. I have three of something??? 2 Pekin and 1 Rouen. They are 3 weeks old tomorrow so about what age should I be able to tell the sex for sure?
you know what it will be awhile before you have to worry about this why not just enjoy them now as babies and maybe it will turn out for the best 2ducks and 1 drake. or 3 ducks or 3 drakes. you can always decide what best when they are older. your worrying instead of enjoying.
wink.png

Thanks for info. Was afraid of that. Didn't know if they would fight if I didn't have any females around. I have three of something??? 2 Pekin and 1 Rouen. They are 3 weeks old tomorrow so about what age should I be able to tell the sex for sure?

sex on ducks is hard but as your ducks are descended from Mallards

Drakes will get Drake Feathers around 10-15 weeks

THANK YOU !!! Miss Lydia (my duck angel)

You always come to my rescue. I was so stressed today I was almost in tears thinking about giving one of them away. You are right. Maybe I will have the right combo. I would take any option as we only have them as pets to love.
What age do you think I will be able to tell?
Thanks again

THANK YOU !!! Miss Lydia (my duck angel)

You always come to my rescue. I was so stressed today I was almost in tears thinking about giving one of them away. You are right. Maybe I will have the right combo. I would take any option as we only have them as pets to love.
What age do you think I will be able to tell?
Thanks again
maybe by 4-5 months for drake feather, and should begin to hear voice changing some where around 4-5 weeks off an on. You know I have Muscovy's so on voice change I am only guess since Muscovy's don't quack, but girls will be loud and boys will be raspy and lower. you can google your ducks breed and probably hear just what they will sound like in a few months. Are your ducks going to be able to free range? is there a possibility if it did end up 2 drakes to 1 could you add a couple more girls to the mix? always things to think about, and ducks able to run around and act like ducks aren't as apt to fight as those penned up together. I have 2 drakes and plenty of girls and they do get into it once in a while but for the most part coexist pretty good. lots of room to run around makes a big difference.

Last edited:
We have a lot of predators around ( in the country) so they will free range as long as we are home. I am worried about them leaving our property and there are a couple of farm dogs that stray. We are building a large run for them. We just picked up a 7 foot pool today to install in the coop and run we are in the midst of building. Would be farther along but I broke my foot a week ago and am stumbling around on crutches. My wonderful husband set a lawn recliner in the garage so I can watch and talk to the ducklings and chicks for hours. LOL I would definately get another couple of females. How can I be sure they are females? the man at TSC said there was no way of knowing. Can I put them in the same pen after they leave the brooder? I know chickens are difficult to mix. Are ducks as well?
Thanks for all your encouragement. Time will tell.

Vent sexing, is a way to tell young birds, some farm supplies can i know of one and they get frey's pekin all the time. A bachelor flock will be fine, it's only when you start adding females to the mix do things get tricky.

Back
Top Bottom