Can I help then chicks hatch?

new2thechickworld

In the Brooder
11 Years
Mar 21, 2008
Texas
This is our first time with incubating and I still have lots of questions.

Day 21 for our eggs was this past Tuesday March 25, we still have no chicks. Is this okay?

Should I try to get one started? And if so is there info or a website that tells you how?

Is it okay for them to go this long and not hatch?

Any advice would be helpful. Thank you

Hi! If your temps have been low, even a tiny bit low, i think that can slow the chicks down and make them a few days late...

If it's only 21 days i wouldn't be too worried yet. One of our eggs hatched on day 20, and then three on day 22 and one on day 23...I'm not sure about trying to get one started, maybe wait a while longer and see if anything happens??

Good luck with your hatch!
big_smile.png

I did read all the pages up top about helping them hatch. It did give my the incouragement to help them along.

I followed the steps and the results are-

We have 3 live chicks who had gotten through the blood vessel membranes and the beaks were out, they are all moving and chirpping (one more than the others),

There membrane was so dry they could have never made it through. I put them back in the incubator to see if they can finish it on there own.

I will continue to nervously watch over them.

I do have another question-

I have the humidity at 85 and the temp at 98-

I have the little giant still air incubator-

Should I take the 2 red air hole plugs out of the top?

Or do I leave them in, because I still have 12 more eggs that need to incubate a little more.

Your temps should be 101 - 102 at the top of the eggs in a still air incubator. That might account for the slow hatch.

I would take one plug out and get the humidity down to 70%. At 85% condensation can cause them to drown.

Back
Top Bottom