Can I hug my chickens?

If your chickens allow it and you want to, why not. I used to lay in the lot next door with a dozen chickens grazing around me. Some would climb on me. One of my hens and my rooster would "kiss" me (take pieces of cracked corn out of my lips) I thought it was fun and in close to 7 years of having chickens I have never had salmonella! :confused: Do what is best for you.
You are more likely to get sick though! Not even salmonella!!

I do give my chickens their own individual attention
It’s just all of mine except for one (my Brahma) just don’t like getting touched....
Not very many of my birds enjoy touching much either... out of hundred + I have raised... including Silkies. Only about 3-4 girls are really special that way. I probably don't kiss them... but think I might have laid a smack on them once or twice out of sheer excitement. :oops:

If your chickens allow it and you want to, why not. I used to lay in the lot next door with a dozen chickens grazing around me. Some would climb on me. One of my hens and my rooster would "kiss" me (take pieces of cracked corn out of my lips) I thought it was fun and in close to 7 years of having chickens I have never had salmonella! :confused: Do what is best for you.
I hug mine all the time. I have two that never go a day without a hug. I really only kiss the chicks and sometimes the ones that give hugs. I have done this for 7 years also and never had an issue.

I hug mine all the time. I have two that never go a day without a hug. I really only kiss the chicks and sometimes the ones that give hugs. I have done this for 7 years also and never had an issue.
Just so everyone knows I’m not trying to argue. Just trying to keep people safe!!! Sorry if I was acting mean!:)

I was talking about washing my silkies, I would never wash any of my other chickens. I also don’t kiss my chickens, I just thought it was weird that other people were doing it. I know that is bad. Thank You!

Back
Top Bottom