Can i integrate chickens while a hen is broody?

Chicken_Crazy0810

In the Brooder
Jun 2, 2017
Hello! I have a single hen that is a month from laying eggs. I have to broodies at the moment about halfway through there hatch. Would it interfere with there hatch if i integrated her? The hen i want to integrate is bigger than most hens i have! She is quite aggressive to younger hens but is scared of older hens. I want my broodies to have a successful hatch. Would it be smart to integrate her now before the chicks, or after? Thanks for any feedback!:)

Hello! I have a single hen that is a month from laying eggs. I have to broodies at the moment about halfway through there hatch. Would it interfere with there hatch if i integrated her? The hen i want to integrate is bigger than most hens i have! She is quite aggressive to younger hens but is scared of older hens. I want my broodies to have a successful hatch. Would it be smart to integrate her now before the chicks, or after? Thanks for any feedback!:)
You can try and see-----we all do things "OUR" way---meaning ALL my broodies are in private hatching pens---never with the flock. So you will just have to see what happens and be ready to change if needed.

Since the broody hens are not using the roost space, then your new addition may have the opportunity to "integrate", but it would be good to make sure that you have significant space and multiple feeders since when the broodies do get off their nests, she'll be in for some serious (but short-lived) flogging. Her addition would not interfere with the hatch, I would not imagine.

To be honest, I'd imagine that the same applies to integrating her after the chicks have hatched, since mother hens are extremely protective of their chicks. I agree with PD-Riverman - no harm in trying sooner, rather than later, but be prepared to intervene and change plans accordingly.

On a different note, having multiple broodies can be a headache, but I'm sure you have planned for what to do when the chicks hatch from the respective hens.

Since the broody hens are not using the roost space, then your new addition may have the opportunity to "integrate", but it would be good to make sure that you have significant space and multiple feeders since when the broodies do get off their nests, she'll be in for some serious (but short-lived) flogging. Her addition would not interfere with the hatch, I would not imagine.

To be honest, I'd imagine that the same applies to integrating her after the chicks have hatched, since mother hens are extremely protective of their chicks. I agree with PD-Riverman - no harm in trying sooner, rather than later, but be prepared to intervene and change plans accordingly.

On a different note, having multiple broodies can be a headache, but I'm sure you have planned for what to do when the chicks hatch from the respective hens.
Yes i have planned on things to do. Thanks for your feedback!

Back
Top Bottom