Can I just say - I'm so damn sick of bumblefoot

Edit: Oh, I'm sorry, you are just venting. I completely relate. I was so sick of bumblefoot in that year I seriously went to my vet, with no ducks, in tears saying, "what am I doing wrong?!" It was really hard. I hope you find a solution. *hugs*

As always, I love seeing photos of your ducks. <3

Changing the environment really helped me. My ducks who had issues sound similar to your situation. I took them to the vet, they healed, and then in a few weeks it came right back. This went on for me for about a year, with the daily foot washing, until I finally asked my vet why they had the issue and how to prevent it.

I know you aren't going to want to hear this, but the back deck and hard wood floors inside are probably contributing - in my opinion. You know those foam puzzle work out mats? I used those for a while for my duck who had the worst problem with bumblefoot and she didn't develop any sores. I wonder if you could use those, or something similar, over your deck or an area on your hard wood floor. Otherwise, it might be best to have them wear neoprene boots inside.

My vet told me to only allow my ducks to walk on grass outside and 4-6 inches of clean dry straw or hay (basically grass) or thick layers of towels (3+ towels) inside. I followed her advice and redid my entire set up. I removed all boards, pea gravel, wood shavings, cinder blocks, and anything hard. My ducks have never had bumblefoot again in 5 years.

It does seem that this isn't the case with all ducks. Some ducks can use wood shavings just fine. But mine were very sensitive and couldn't. *shrug* It was a serious pain in the butt, because I had to completely clean out their barn room every weekend or the straw would mold - but I was willing to do that to prevent painful foot sores.

I hope your ducks are feeling better soon. Let me know if anything helps.
Only straw in their duck house but ugh - I just have too many hard surfaces and they free range so they go where they go and that's usually where I am. Which is usually on the deck (trex) or the patio. When I'm working in my office in the house they just sleep in the deck next to the slider for most of the day until I come out with my computer after my zoom meetings. But honestly, even when I work outside all day they still prefer to nap (and poop) on the covered deck.

It appears I've encouraged unhealthy co-dependent duck behavior. I wish I had a duck whisperer that could tell me all the things I'm doing wrong.

On that note it's duck foot soak time :(

You can treat without making an incision. Many people do it. You would soak, use a drawing salve (like prid), some wrap some don't.
Maybe it's time to figure out why they keep getting bumble and come up with a solution to prevent it.
I've never had bumble until recently and it's because the shavings we got were not like shavings but pieces of wood and I think the one stepped on a piece wrong and ended up with an infection. So, we won't get that type again (from a local feed mill).

Have you thought about putting a fence around your porch area? You may need to fence it off for their own good. I keep mine in a large fenced area, so they can only go into certain parts of my yard. So free ranged with boundaries.
x2

I bet this will really help.

Back
Top Bottom