Hen's can Vomit! (I really didn't know this!) What is causing my little Hen to become so sick all of

MNSNone

Hatching
5 Years
May 8, 2014
Cleckheaton, UK
Hi Everyone,

I am going to apologies in advance as a similar situation may have been covered in a previous thread but I could manage to find anything that is an exact match to what I have on my hands at the moment.

About 2 days ago I noticed that one of my hens was a little lethargic, to begin with I didn't think too much of it as she can act in a similar way if she is just about to lay. I kept my eye on her throughout the day but she did not improve, nor lay or get any worse so I thought I would leave her over night and have a look at her 1st thing in the morning.

When I went out the following morning she was still very lethargic and didn't want to leave the coop, eventually after all my fussing she came out into the yard to free-range with the other 2 girls but she was not right. All she wanted to do was huddle in a corner, so I set her up a nest box in the porch where it was dry and away from the elements. I offered her some food but she was not interested in that so I gave her some Yoghurt which normally they gulp down, but she wasn't interested in that. I tried all of their favorite treats but nothing would tempt her to eat.

At this point I was very conscious that she had not had a great deal to eat the day before so I decided rightly or wrongly I don't know to make up some sugar water which she took. This made me feel a little better knowing she had at least had something to drink. I ordered some worming treatment online which is due to be delivered any day just incase it is parasite related.

Sadly yesterday morning the little hen was even worse, she would not eat or drink anything I put in front of her and just sat in her little makeshift nest in the porch. I managed to get a pitiful amount of fluid into her through a syringe dripping it onto her beak but that was all. I tried everything from blitzed up porridge to yoghurt but she was having none of it. I also noticed that she looks to either have or have had some Diarrhea as her feathers are a little messy, but I have yet to see her "go".

This morning I went to check on her and there was no improvement, so I picked her out of the coop and she vomited on me! Now being a new hen keeper I'll be honest, I didn't know hen's could vomit! So this caught me completely off guard. I popped her in a laundry basket (I didn't have anything else!) on a pillow and towel and brought her inside. I've been drip feeding her water all day and she has taken substantially more than she did yesterday however she kept vomiting a brown liquid which got paler as the day went on and less frequent.

She is still extremely lethargic and falls asleep at the blink of an eye, I'll be honest a couple of times today I thought she had passed away she is so lifeless. But when she does open her eyes and sit up to drink she looks as bright eyed as always. She picks her head up when she hears the dog moving around so she still has something in her tank I guess.

What should I do?
Am I doing the right thing by giving her fluids?
Is it a good sign she is taking in more fluids and not vomiting as frequently?

Sorry for all the questions but since having my girls this is the first major trauma we have encountered and I don't really know how to deal with it, I've rung the Vet's here but they have no experience with poultry so are as clueless as me!

I live in the UK just for reference.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm not certain she will make it through the night but if she does I want to do everything I can to give her a fighting chance.

Thanks in advance.

Megan

P.S The other 2 girls in the flock seem fine, I am watching one of them closely because she seems a bit quiet but is eating and drinking fine as well as chasing me into the house, but the 3rd and final chicken is as lively as ever not showing any symptoms. Also my Girls are ex-battery girls which I have had for just a little over 12 months which by all accounts should make them anywhere between 2.5 to 3 years old.

Sounds like my hen when she had sour crop. With my husband's help I held her with her head downward and stroked upwards on her crop to get her to vomit the fluid. (Very carefully to make sure she didn't aspirate any fluid, and with very frequent breaks to allow her to breathe.) When her crop was empty I fed her some Monistat cream - a blob about the size of a grape. Within 4 hours she went from looking like she was at death's door to nibbling a snack. I gave her a second dose of Monistat the next morning, and that was the end of treatments because she gave me the slip and I couldn't catch her after that.

I don't know if you have monistat in the UK, it's used to treat feminine yeast infections, comes as cream or suppositories, either of which can be fed to chickens.

Look up sour crop on this forum. There are tons of things that you can do at home to help your hen. I didn't know hens could vomit either til mine did. Surprise!

The Best thing to do is put "Sour Crop" in the search box and see what comes up. Or she may have impacted crop. Has she been eating any long blades of grass.

The Best thing to do is put "Sour Crop" in the search box and see what comes up. Or she may have impacted crop. Has she been eating any long blades of grass.

It would be a surprise if she has, I have a paved yard with no grass so if she has had any it would only be a blade or two.

After vomiting her a couple of times this evening her crop has dramatically reduced in size which is a good thing I hope. I'm leaving her to sleep off the stress now on a heat mat so I will see how she is in the morning.

Thanks for all the advice :) It is greatly appreciated!

Sadly this evening little Ethel gave up the fight. I did everything I could but it seems it was too little too late. Thank you for all the advice you gave.

Back
Top Bottom