1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can I just say.....

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Roseyroberts, Jan 13, 2017.

1. Roseyroberts

Roseyroberts Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2013
    East Texas
    That Mareks disease sucks!! I'm so sick of seeing my girls waste away.
    . [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    That must be awful, I'm sorry you're having to go through this.

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Yes, you can say that. I am so sorry. [​IMG] I know how hard it is to watch your flock suffer from something you can't do anything about. Many hugs to you! [​IMG]

4. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    Im feel so bad for you and your chickens.[​IMG]

5. rebrascora

rebrascora Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2014
    Consett Co.Durham. UK
    You have my sympathies too and I totally agree, Marek's sucks!

6. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    My flock carries something similar, lymphotic leucosis. It claims a chicken every couple years, and in between, tumors cause a whole variety of disabilities that can be heartbreaking.

I discovered in spite of these incurable poultry viruses, it's possible to have a more or less normal flock. You just need to work around it.

In your case, keep your flock as healthy as possible by feeding probiotics and vitamins and vaccinate new chicks.

7. rebrascora

rebrascora Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2014
    Consett Co.Durham. UK
    I agree with anzygous. Whilst the individual cases are really upsetting, don't be too discouraged as I also find that you can work around it too. I seem to have 2 or3 losses to it each year but I also have many healthy chicks that survive it and promoting a healthy immune system through good nutrition and a happy, stress free lifestyle for them definitely helps. I don't vaccinate but breed from my surviving stock. I lost 2 out of 56 chicks hatched last summer to it and a third has fully recovered his first attack but may meet the butchers knife before he has chance to suffer a second.

Hopefully things will level out a bit for you once the initial outbreak has run it's course. That was what I found.

Good luck with the remaining ones

Barbara

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by