Can I keep 1-2 month olds in the basement in a brooder?

I don't keep chicks inside the house more than 3 weeks because of the DUST.
sickbyc.gif

I had a lot of PVC piping laying around, so I used some of those to build a pen outside in the shed for the chicks.
I wrapped it in deer netting and put some cardboard around one side for draft protection.

As long as they have heat and you can keep a steady temperature, they'll be fine. I brood my chicks outdoors in a small coop with heat and they do fine.

I'm not going to lie to you and say that you will never lose a bird. I've lost several over the years, and while it's not easy, you learn from it and learn how to better protect them. I live in a high predator area, so there is lots of wildlife here and unfortunately, just about everything eats chicken. I would recommend getting an extra or 2 just in case. (sexing isn't always accurate either- so you could get a boy by mistake)

Last edited:
We had our chicks in the basement too! [except we had forty-two] It was great, we got them outside yesterday! They were adorable. Only one of our chicks didn't make it with our setup because she had a bad problem in her leg.
Your birds will probably do fine, I didn't mind the smell so bad and the dust wasn't very noticeable. Good Luck and
welcome-byc.gif

thanks for the input guys ;) i am going to get 6. this is another quick question for you all, did any of your birds die? im nervous about this because i am a huge animal lover, i cant even eat meat, thats why i am getting chicks, so i can have cruelty free eggs and give them a happy live. i was just wondering how many to get if i want a flock of 6.

chicks may or may not die you have to be prepared for this before getting them, you may even have to cull if the animal is in pain i have had to do that once but never "lost any"

Mine arrived March 25th last year it was so cold here... noway was the brooder going in the garage, so down stairs this giant 50 x51x 24 in solid wood 300 hundred lb brooder went in the basement, little did I klnow winter would last until June last year and them babies grew fast had to go buy a 10 x10 kennel to move them into before it was even close enough to warm enough out their........., no problems though but a dust mess to clean up after they went out.... here they are.

Back
Top Bottom