can I keep running ducks with my chickens?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
ask him if it would be better if you kept them separate, see what he says

You really just want an argument, don't you? He lives near me has seen and commented on my set-up. Likes it. I just thought he was another person with chickens and ducks who lived up the road. Turned out he is one of a few vets who specialize in poultry/water and wild fowl in Washington State.....aaaaaaand....he keeps chickens, ducks and goats together......gosh!

Hypothesis are based on logic. Conclusions are based on EVIDENCE.

TLWR made an excellent point about following your reasoning to its LOGICAL conclusions. Indeed kids do pick up nasty stuff from dogs, indeed kids get sick from said nasty stuff. If you looked only at that observation, the hypothesis might be that it would be ideal to keep them separate. That's why, you, when faced with this reasoning, correctly went to the EVIDENCE. I realize you are not a native speaker, but the distinction between these two words is important. The evidence indicated that there are benefits to keeping dogs and children together. Of course, a parent with an immuno-compromised (read: gets sick very easily) kid might decide that its not worth the risk to their particular child. That's cost benefit analysis and I'm trying hard to avoid getting into that.

You did an excellent job coming up with some references. Thank you.

I'll start with the bio-security information from the west virginia university extension service.This article makes some excellent points about quarantine procedures for animals that have been potentially exposed to pathogens. Such procedures make sense as far as I know. It would have been nice to see something that specifically talks about domestic ducks. So I found one for us: http://pubs.ext.vt.edu/2902/2902-1099/2902-1099.pdf it specifically recommends not having ducks and chickens on the same property and advises at a minimum to keep them separated. I assume this sort of literature is the source of your advice. Based on the evidence I think its fair to say that for maximum profitability you should pick one bird or the other. If you keep them in separate pens that is still not enough. You would need to change shoes when going between one pen or the other, wash your hands and clothes when going between pens, etc.

Here comes the part where all that logic comes into play: If you are not able to do this, then from a biological standpoint it doesn't make a whole lot of difference whether they are physically separated or not, what matters is the flow of pathogens.

Furthermore: if your flocks aren't diseased in the first place, none of the above applies.

Other people have already addressed the nutrition issue and you have chosen to ignore them. I will only try to add that you are making the assumption that the ducks will receive no additional supplemental nutrition. Let me break that down for you in less "impressive" language. If the ducks get nothing extra to eat then there may be problems with only chicken food. If they are given extra nutrients, they will be fine.

i must also congratulate on the political impressive speech that had nothing to do with science but had nice words and phrases to impress. science is not just impressive words. its common logic

I'm flattered that you found my writing impressive. I did indeed stray at times from a discussion of science to a discussion of logic, but, as you say, these two are related. I understand you are a non-native speaker, but you studied in Wales so I think that's a poor excuse; and, furthermore, if you want to understand scientific literature then you need to understand that my words were not chosen to be "impressive" they were chosen to be precise.

So, am I saying you are wrong? Not exactly. I'm saying that you are failing to consider the situation fully. I'm also saying that I find your attitude at times to be unbecoming of a serious scientific mind. I think that you started out with good intentions and then eventually resorted to bullying to try to get your point across. Normally I don't bother with bullies, but I think you're sensible enough to learn from this discussion.​

Last edited:
This ENTIRE forum is advice-based. People ask questions, other people offer their opinions (usually based on their personal experiences)." Can I keep ducks with my chickens?" The answer is, yes you can. If you have a reason why you think it might not be a good idea, you could just say... Yes, you can but you might want to consider... It's called diplomacy and it never hurt anyone. From what I can see, all of the people who have given the advice that keeping chickens and ducks together are saying "I've done it and it seems to be working fine." It's not as if the OP was asking if it was okay to keep ducks in with bears.

Quote:
I agree with dianaross77. Sometimes...way too much information for a simple question. I have ducks, chicken, and pigeons all living together sharing food and water. I have happy birds!
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
Hmm "i am a scientist i have learned that only facts stated by other scientists can be true" Ha Ha Ha

" fact that keeping ducks with chicken is illegal in a whole continent "

WOW what a revelation, just like Global Warming scam elevated by some "scientists" to the status of religion
or at least a cult (you can not discuss it anymore regardless of all false and fabricated data, cause it is a dogma now).

This is the same kind of "science" telling us for exemple : "Scientists found out that in 10 million years earth will ...... bla bla bla...."

But the very same "scientists" can not tell in any certainity wheater it will rain in next hour or not.

Sorry, I stick with any old farmers views on just about anything, starting with how to raise animals and ending with his or her views on cureent and future weather/climat predictions including farmers view about next hour weather.

LOL

Quote:
I'm flattered that you found my writing impressive. I did indeed stray at times from a discussion of science to a discussion of logic, but, as you say, these two are related. I understand you are a non-native speaker, but you studied in Wales so I think that's a poor excuse; and, furthermore, if you want to understand scientific literature then you need to understand that my words were not chosen to be "impressive" they were chosen to be precise.

So, am I saying you are wrong? Not exactly. I'm saying that you are failing to consider the situation fully. I'm also saying that I find your attitude at times to be unbecoming of a serious scientific mind. I think that you started out with good intentions and then eventually resorted to bullying to try to get your point across. Normally I don't bother with bullies, but I think you're sensible enough to learn from this discussion.

as far as biosecurity is concerned ever step you take no matter how small makes the odds better for you . as i am sure you know infection relies on numbers of bacteria /viruses making the initial entry in an organism .so every step you take is beneficial. i have different feeders and waterers(diferent colour even so i never mix them by chance). i do wash my hands after visiting my different coops but i do not wear different clothes or shoes yet ,if i decide i am doing enough i probably need to do this too
i honestly think that any good intentions will always be considered as personal attacks by some people unless they agree with their life views. fredom of speach and opinion is sth i am not wiling to give up in my life. as for bulling i thing i was the only one bullied during the coarse of this talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom