Can I keep them all???

RedBrush Farm

Songster
11 Years
Jun 12, 2011
Missouri
I purchased 6 - day old peachicks in May. They are now 6 months old. As far as we can tell we have 2 females (no bars/bands on back) and 4 males. They were from different sources so the only two related are two of the males. Can I keep them all or will I have trouble having so many males. Can I just purchase more females? As you can guess, hand raising them from chicks, I have gotten very, very attached. We have never owned Peafowl before and are only going by what we read. Hope someone with real life experience can give some advice.
Thanks

You can keep them all. The peacocks are not so hard on peahens like roosters can be with hens.

Roosters very often just chase and grab a hen against her will.

A peacock has to fan his tail, and hope a peahen will come close enough for him to flirt with and eventually let out a special "mating call" while running at her.. if she accepts, she squats and breeding happens. If she does not accept or just is not in the mood at that moment, she refuses by walking or running to stay out of his reach and he stops after several feet and resumes the normal fanning behaviors. That's it... No problem, especially if they are free range. I had a large roomy pen with 5 peacocks and one peahen for couple years, she stayed in perfect condition the whole time. I would not even think of trying this ratio with chickens or ducks...

You can get more peahens, they will like that for sure(as adults)... peacocks LOVE to have something to shake their tail at.

One concern would be one of the boys turning out to be intolerant of other males or two of them may just not get along at all but normally, groups raised together will make and maintain a more or less stable pecking order amongst themselves.

I have 3 males and 3 females in one enclosure and they get along just fine. It helps a lot that they were raised together and are used to each other. If you tried to introduce older birds to each other that could be a different story.

Back
Top Bottom