Can I keep them separated??(2021 Plans)

KikiDeAnime

Spooky
6 Years
Dec 29, 2017
Battle Ground, WA
Next year I want to get a Indian Runner drake to breed with our 2 females since a lot of people have breeder quality drakes near us. The only problem I have, is we already have a Khaki Campbell drake who lives with these 2 females. My original plan was to keep 1 drake separated while the other drake bred the females and then switch them out. My parents are allowing me to get a drake next year since it won't be an issue for noise.
Our current drake is very submissive around his females, which I find weird. Is that normal?? Because he doesn't breed them as much as I though he would. He wasn't active in spring either so I'm curious if that's normal.

Is it possible to keep a drake separated??
What fencing is recommended to keep the drake from escaping the pen??
How long should I keep the drake with the females before switching??

In the spring, unless you have him in a pen your drake will probably find a way over a fence. You should keep the runner drake with your hens for as long as you want fertile eggs from them.

In the spring, unless you have him in a pen your drake will probably find a way over a fence. You should keep the runner drake with your hens for as long as you want fertile eggs from them.
The pen he'll be in already has netting over it so that won't be an issue.
And I won't be keeping the drake in there all the time. We only 2 females, I can't allow overbreeding. I just want him in there long enough to breed them but not sure when take him out.

The pen he'll be in already has netting over it so that won't be an issue.
And I won't be keeping the drake in there all the time. We only 2 females, I can't allow overbreeding. I just want him in there long enough to breed them but not sure when take him out.
Ah, ok I see what you mean now. Do you have three pens, or a way to separate the two drakes separately, and have the girls by themselves? I suggest just leaving the runner drake with them until you have seen him breed them both, then separating. If the eggs aren’t all fertile, you may have to leave in their for longer periods of time.

Ah, ok I see what you mean now. Do you have three pens, or a way to separate the two drakes separately, and have the girls by themselves? I suggest just leaving the runner drake with them until you have seen him breed them both, then separating. If the eggs aren’t all fertile, you may have to leave in their for longer periods of time.
We currently have 3 runs. 1 for our chickens and 2 empty ones. I could possibly fence off a 4th one as I planned on getting meat birds for one of the empty runs.
Our girls are really loud when they do get bred so I think I'll know when he's bred them.
Probably a dumb question. We have a chocolate and blue, do you know what color would go great with them?

We currently have 3 runs. 1 for our chickens and 2 empty ones. I could possibly fence off a 4th one as I planned on getting meat birds for one of the empty runs.
Our girls are really loud when they do get bred so I think I'll know when he's bred them.
Probably a dumb question. We have a chocolate and blue, do you know what color would go great with them?
Not a dumb question at all. If you let me know what colors are available around you, I could tell you what would look best.

Back
Top Bottom