Can I mix bantam hens in with Standard breeds in same coop/run?

ptig78d

Songster
13 Years
Apr 28, 2008
Bucksport, ME
I have a coop/run that is 15x10...and I free range when the weather's nice on our 1.1 acres.
I currently have 2 BR roos and 1 roo which we adopted a couple weeks ago...along with 5 RIRs and 3 hens which we adopted as well....we think the new chickens are Phoenix...they're still growing in their wattles and such.
The same person that gave us the Phoenix chickens also has 3 bantams in their own little hutch over in her garage. We plan on adopting them as well, but I was debating on whether I should keep them in their hutch (literally a hutch about 6 feet tall by 3 feet wide), or can I mix them in with my other chickens in the coop? I'd like to be able to let them mix and free range with the others, but I want to do what is in the best interests of the birds, and not just my own convenience.
I'm sorry for not knowing the exact breeds of the new birds...but the lady that I'm adopting them from was just getting started in raising chickens....and is a little bit scatter-brained herself. When one of her chickens ran off one day, she reported it to the local PD and couldn't tell them what it looked like other than it had brown feathers.
Thanks for the help.

Bantams & standards can co-exist. The biggest danger to the banty hens will come in the form of the standard roos, who can injure the hens if they try to breed them. They can also injure the banty roos in fights.

But the great thing about bantaies is that they don't know that they're little. My banty has a feisty attitude, even though she's only 20 ounces.

We mixed our bantam EE and bantam Cochin pullets with 2 BO pullets and a bigger Cochin rooster. The Bo pullets get along pretty well, but the rooster can get rough/ But he hasn't been too rough...yet. I didn't know until know that he could really hurt them. Do you think he could/will???
hmm.png
idunno.gif

it depends on the space they have.
My barn owner has a mix of banties and standards. She free ranges them on MANY acres. Although they never wander far.
So far no major fights and the hens are ok as well.

We currently have all Standard girls, but are adding two DUclles in a another month. I am thinking of having dh build the banties a tractor for them. I have a hard time keeping Audrey and now Olivia from taking off on me when I go to feed etc. The banties would take full advatnage of that

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions, folks! All right...here's what I've decided to do. I have one of those medium size dog crates and I will put them in that and place it in the corner of the chicken enclosure. I think that will give them time to get used to their new surroundings and let our other chickens meet their new coop-mates.
Once they've had a few days to get accustomed, I'll leave the crate door open so they can retreat to it if necessary.
I'll let you know what happens.
big_smile.png
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom