Can I mix hatched chicks with other chicks that hatch a week or 2 later?

janetlynn

In the Brooder
Oct 28, 2015
I just bought 2 blue Cooper Marans 1 1/2 weeks old. I have blue laced wyandotte's that are candle and scheduled to hatch this week and few Brahma eggs that will be ready in 2 weeks. Can I put these babies together as they hatch or do I need to keep them separate? I'm new to baby chicks,eggs and hatching.. I got so excited I just jumped in the deep end ..with some research on incubating of course. This is definitely a science. Thank you for any advice :) -Janet

You cannot put 1-2 week old chicks in with newly hatched ones. They will pick on the younger ones.

With caution you can do so. Are you using MHP style brooder? I've put chicks together with up to 3 week age spread. The important thing is that the new chicks MUST be old enough that they can run around well. You can't just dump them together and hope for the best. I start by keeping them separate for the first week, with a wire divider between them. Of course both groups need their own heat source. Then, I allow them together with supervision. If the older ones do not pick on the younger ones, then, I leave the divider down and let them mingle.

You can't put the 2 ages together UNLESS YOU HAVE 2 SQ. FT. PER BIRD.

O.k. I will try a divider and separate heat lamps, see how they do. Plan A and Plan B. The 2 oldest I have right now are Marans which are normally known to be more docile and they are barely a week old so here is hoping!
Thank you guys!!!! :)

I've mixed birds that were a week so apart as well as 2 weeks apart. That was the most age difference though.

I have chicks coming Wednesday and will have 1,week old chicks already in the brooder. We will mix them but we also watch carefully.

Back
Top Bottom