Can I put a day old chick in the coop with a 4 month old hen?

chickychick106

In the Brooder
Mar 30, 2016
California
I have two chickens right now that grew up together and unfortunately I am finding out that one of them is a roo. So I will have to give him back to the feed store. I want to get another so that my girl won't be lonely. I read on the forums that raising one chick alone in a brooder can cause social problems so I want to know if it would be safe to put just one day old chick straight in with my 4 month old girl. Is there any way to make that work? I only have room enough for 2 hens to be comfortable at the moment.

No, you can't do that. The chick will have no way to defend itself and it has different needs than a four month old - it needs warmth, and it needs a starter feed. Your adult is going to need layer before the chick can come off starter. Plus, your hen is not going to find a one day old chick to be good company anyway.

Your best bet is going to be to try to buy an older pullet, or keep the cockerel for now and raise two chicks inside with the intent of selling one when it's older. Plus, when buying chicks you can't be 100% sure of the gender unless it's a sex link so you could just end up with another cockerel again. An older pullet would really be the best way to go in your situation.

Good advice! I think your right about trying to get a pullet that's a little older (maybe around the age of mine). I will have to do some searching. Thank you!!

Back
Top Bottom