Can I put a few feed store chicks under a broody hen?

Tanichca

Sparkle Magnet
May 6, 2009
Akron, Ohio
I have a hen who seems determined to brood a large amount of eggs (7 of hers, 4 of her sisters, and 3 EE eggs) and she is to small to take care of them all. Could i take away most of the eggs and put a few feed store chicks instead? would she take care of them? she is a silkie, almost a year old. Would I need to isolate her?

Yeah you can give her chicks from the feed store
smile.png
But I would take ALL her eggs, once she gets babies, she'll most likely leave them after a day or so. Its up to you if you want to isolate her. If she is a good momma, she'll protect her babies from anyone. I let my hen hatch her babies and she took GREAT care of them, she even would run at me if I got too close.

Be carefull, she may not accept the chicks, or they may not accept her, if they are at the feed store they have been on thier own for a couple of days at least, and may not want a mom. If they do not mesh you will need to have a backup plan to raise the chicks.

You would be better off to limit the # of eggs you let her sit on, and issolate her or the other hens will continue putting their eggs in her nest, which may cause her to move on to a less active nest box, leaving you with partially developed eggs. Plus if you do not mark the eggs and she is sitting, you will get a staggered hatch, and after a couple days she will abandon the remaining eggs in the nest, so again you should have another means for those eggs to continue to develope fully and hatch.

does that mean buying a heat lamp? I am utterly broke
sad.png
and have no allowance..... so would a little heater work as well? does anyone know if feed stores sell heat laps/cords/everything else?

Belllisamo, almost forgot to ask if the two silver phoenixes I gave you are doing well. Marco and his little bantam hen? Ester Easter Egger is doing well......

If its only a couple chicks, and in the house you can use a desk lamp. I would think the heater blowing on them would be somewhat like haveing them in a direct draft.

I had a silkie hen hatch out chicks in the dead of winter.... with snow on the ground. Everyone was fine. I try to think like "mother nature" and ask questions like "how would a chicken survive with no human to care for it?"
"How did these things produce and survive without humans?"

How many chicks would be optimal to buy? during spring, silkie chicks are about $2 at the central feed store in town.
My bird hasn't raised babies before, so would she know how to take care of them? And will I really need the fifty pound bag of chick starter?

Quote:
I have 5 11 week old chicks. (3 cockerals and 2 pullets) And they still have some of the 50# bag of food left. I think it will last about another week.

Back
Top Bottom