Can i put antibacterial gel on my chickens eye?

Soleil_A

Songster
Oct 24, 2017
White lake, Michigan. (Or detroit)
Hi, my chickens eye is all pus infected. Look at my other forums for more info on it. i was wondering if i could put antibacterial gel on it?
image.jpg

Thanks!:bow

Petroleum jelly is not antibacterial gel. You can get Terramycin eye ointment, Vetericyn eye gel or eye wash, or some other antibiotic drops or ointment to put into eyes. Clean the eyes with saline, then apply the antibiotic ointment.
Can you post a picture or two of the eye? Is there a bad odor? Respiratory diseases such as MG or infectious coryza may cause swelling or gunk in the eye. You may need to also use an oral antibiotic as well.

051785A0-C17A-4877-B1F5-C9CB03ABAE0E.jpeg
CBB80BD4-5860-4644-8B79-D5F44ADBC287.jpeg
image.jpg
Petroleum jelly is not antibacterial gel. You can get Terramycin eye ointment, Vetericyn eye gel or eye wash, or some other antibiotic drops or ointment to put into eyes. Clean the eyes with saline, then apply the antibiotic ointment.
Can you post a picture or two of the eye? Is there a bad odor? Respiratory diseases such as MG or infectious coryza may cause swelling or gunk in the eye. You may need to also use an oral antibiotic as well.
check out my other forum for more information on it. what about pink eyedrops?https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/please-help-me-with-my-chickens-eye.1208533/ <—— here’s my forum for her eye.

Tobramycin is very effective against E.coli and pseudomonas bacteria. It may not help with mycoplasma or coryza, which can be common in respiratory infections. But E.coli sometimes can be a problem with eye infections. I would check with a vet. Terramycin ointment plus tobramycin would pretty much wipe out anything. I am not a vet, so a vet would be best for info on that.

The pus needs to come out of the eye first before antibiotics will help.
The thread I mentioned above shows pics of how to get it out.

Tobramycin is very effective against E.coli and pseudomonas bacteria. It may not help with mycoplasma or coryza, which can be common in respiratory infections. But E.coli sometimes can be a problem with eye infections. I would check with a vet. Terramycin ointment plus tobramycin would pretty much wipe out anything. I am not a vet, so a vet would be best for info on that.
thank you so much! should do you think i should put it on her eye just to see what happens?

The gunk in her eye does need to come out. It is probably pus. Get some saline and irrigate the eye or use a warm wet compress for a few minutes to soften it. Then use QTips, and even try pushing it out. This may need repeating to get it cleaned out of the pus. If you don't get the gunk out, I am afraid the eye drops will not help.

Yes, as others have said, get the stuff out of her eye first. I had a silkie once with conjunctivitis, and human conjunctivitis drops worked well and it cleared up. Usually, you'll get it from your pharmacy, but you might get funny looks from them when you say it's for your chicken :D

Put the drops in her eyes daily until it clears up. Things like garlic, ACV, and honey can be given to her to help fight the infection too. You can either cut some small garlic pieces up and give them to her like a pill, or put garlic, ACV and honey in her water. (Or you can do both)

Trust me, if you leave the pus in her eye, she can eventually lose it. Its happened to me and it wasn't very pretty either. The pus must be removed, or the drops wont help.

Yes, as others have said, get the stuff out of her eye first. I had a silkie once with conjunctivitis, and human conjunctivitis drops worked well and it cleared up. Usually, you'll get it from your pharmacy, but you might get funny looks from them when you say it's for your chicken :D

Put the drops in her eyes daily until it clears up. Things like garlic, ACV, and honey can be given to her to help fight the infection too. You can either cut some small garlic pieces up and give them to her like a pill, or put garlic, ACV and honey in her water. (Or you can do both)

Trust me, if you leave the pus in her eye, she can eventually lose it. Its happened to me and it wasn't very pretty either. The pus must be removed, or the drops wont help.
alright thank you! i am nervous about taking it out, any motivation?

Back
Top Bottom