Can I put collars on my geese?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by happydog, Jan 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. happydog

happydog Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2009
    Western NC
    I need to sex my geese. The only way I know who's who is when I see them mating. But when the act is over they all go back to looking alike. So I thought I'd use temporary collars in different colors so I can see from a distance, for instance "ok, the yellow collar is a male." AND THEN I CAN BAND HIM.

Of course, they don't mate when I'm standing over them so it has to be visible from a distance. Is there any reason why I couldn't put some kind of a temporary collar on them for a day or two? I was thinking maybe a loose zip tie? Or, I don't know, a bandana?

I thought I was being real smart when I hit him with the paintball gun and left a big orange mark on him. Until they all went bathing. [​IMG] Or maybe I could paint a collar with waterproof markers? I just need to use it for a couple of days till I can make sure who's female and who's male and give them permanent bands.

Any ideas?

2. Silver Spring Waterfowl

Silver Spring Waterfowl Chillin' With My Peeps

We use colored zip ties. They're great! The 3/8" ones work very well for geese. That's how we keep track of who's mating with whom.

3. Silver Spring Waterfowl

BTW, the main advantages of zip ties are that they are inexpensive, easily replaced and you can vary the color combinations so you can see them at a distance. Beats the heckout of trying to read numbers on bands! Our birds have numbered ID bands, but they're worthless for identifying a culprit at a distance. We place them on their legs.

if you do put collars on them, you have to promise to post that video! I pay money to watch it! [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2011
  4. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:Did you just say you SHOT your goose with a paintball gun...
    Are you kidding me... OMG...

5. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Quote:On their necks? Sounds like an invitation to a hanging to me. IMO, birds and collars are a bad idea.
    Better to go ahead and band them, using whatever you want, and then making notes about which one does what.

6. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

[​IMG] Paintball shot? OUCH! [​IMG]

7. Olive Hill

Olive Hill Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2009
    Just vent sex them and band them while you're at it. Problem solved.

If you really don't want to vent sex (it's not as hard or gross as it sounds) you could try livestock "chalk". You can pick it up right at TSC. Mark them with the colors and then watch. You'll probably have to reapply every so often as it wears off. I'd just remove their bathing source for a few days. Give them a bucket of water they can dip their heads in and they'll be fine.

8. kswaterfowl

kswaterfowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2009
    Greencastle, IN
    A breeder I visited once used livestock markers and marked the tops of his gander's heads so he could tell them apart. I theory, it would work, just get three or four colors and mark each bird a different color. Then at a distance you can tell them apart. AND its suppose to be non-toxic safe for livestock.
    K&S

9. Silver Spring Waterfowl

On their legs, their legs alone! You're right! We don't put anything around their necks. Courting disaster, that would be!

10. StevenW.

StevenW. Lovin' My Quackers!

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    Uhhhh you shot your goose with a paintball gun ummmm *no comment*
    I dont like my gander but I dont shoot him with a paintball gun thought I just pick him up and pet him then he loses his confidence

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by