Can I put Peafowl in the same pen as chickens?

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by karaokechick, Dec 5, 2010.

1. karaokechick

karaokechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2010
    Naples, Florida
    I have 3 peafowl in one cage and I was wondering if I could add some chickens to the run. I have a few hens & Roos that need to be separated from my clan until a friend finishes their new coop.

2. jrsqlc

jrsqlc Obsessed with Peafowl

Dec 22, 2009
    Northwest Ohio
    I would NOT recommend it...chickens carry diseases that could kill peafowl!

Last edited: Dec 5, 2010
  3. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    I do not know how old yours are but i just stared freeranging the ones i raised up and some of my chickens pick on them once in a while, it's no big deal here because they can get away, but in a pen i think they would hurt themselves trying to get away cause they jump straight up in the air when trying to get out of the way.

[​IMG]

4. Celtic Hill

Celtic Hill Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    Scotland CT
    i have never had an issue with chickens and peafowl just make sure the chickens are healthy.

5. karaokechick

karaokechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2010
    Naples, Florida
    Does the age matter? My peafowl were given to me recently and are not yet free ranged. They are 3.5 - 4 years old and the chickens are 5-6 months. The pen is quite large. 20x20x7h with a 8x4 separate run area for a young male peacock who is 1.5, otherwise its huge for just 3 birds.

6. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    I just got 2 peafowl this weekend and they will not be in the same pen as my chickens. They will have a large enclosed aviary all by themselves.

7. missevie

missevie Out Of The Brooder

Oct 15, 2010
    Dallas
    I have a pair of bantam cochins with my peacocks. I raised the bantams from day olds and they are perfectly healthy. I used to house 2 geese and 4 ducks that I also raised from hatchlings with them too. I removed all waterfowl from the pen due to overcrowding and just aesthetics. Since i removed them, my Cayugas have already started breeding and my Africa Geese are starting to look interested.lol. It seemed to have actually made the Peacocks more jumpy though, not having them in there. I think they don't know what to do with all the room.

8. tinychicky

tinychicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2010
    Hollis, New Hampshire
    Quote:what beautiful peafowl, zaz!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by