Can i put rabbit into the coop at night?

She has straw bedding (cleaned yesterday) and a lot of hay in the feeder. Can i give her more straw if there won't be enough? Wouldn't it stress her?

If she's used to you being around (and by now, she should be), this shouldn't be stressful for her. Or, look at it this way, if she is so high-strung that this would be too much stress for her, she probably will never be a successful mother, since she will be constantly going crazy over nothing.

If she's used to you being around (and by now, she should be), this shouldn't be stressful for her. Or, look at it this way, if she is so high-strung that this would be too much stress for her, she probably will never be a successful mother, since she will be constantly going crazy over nothing.
Well, i don't think she isn't used to me being around, just doesn't like being stroked etc (like many does people say). But for now i won't bother her till giving her food etc.

My daughter has two pet rabbits that live in her room, that were born here, and have been her special pets for over a year, and they don't like petting, either. Some rabbits are just like that. When I have someone here looking for a pet, I tell them, "open the cage door, and see which bunny in the litter comes to you. You know that one is people-friendly. The pretty one back in the corner may come around with time and attention, or it may not - why make it harder than it has to be?" Of course, the one that I had picked as a "keeper" often tries to sell itself to everyone that comes along . . .:rolleyes:

People who breed for meat production are usually more concerned about things like larger litters and the ability to raise them to slaughter weight quickly, lots of meat on the carcass, etc; a friendly, outgoing personality is often not even on the list of things they look for. To a certain degree, personality can be inherited. So, if you can't develop a lovey-dovey relationship with a rabbit from a meat herd, that doesn't mean you or the rabbit are doing anything wrong, it's just who she was born to be. I've had even friendly does become touch-me-nots when pregnant, so if she does have babies on the way, that may be playing into it, too.

My daughter has two pet rabbits that live in her room, that were born here, and have been her special pets for over a year, and they don't like petting, either. Some rabbits are just like that. When I have someone here looking for a pet, I tell them, "open the cage door, and see which bunny in the litter comes to you. You know that one is people-friendly. The pretty one back in the corner may come around with time and attention, or it may not - why make it harder than it has to be?" Of course, the one that I had picked as a "keeper" often tries to sell itself to everyone that comes along . . .:rolleyes:

People who breed for meat production are usually more concerned about things like larger litters and the ability to raise them to slaughter weight quickly, lots of meat on the carcass, etc; a friendly, outgoing personality is often not even on the list of things they look for. To a certain degree, personality can be inherited. So, if you can't develop a lovey-dovey relationship with a rabbit from a meat herd, that doesn't mean you or the rabbit are doing anything wrong, it's just who she was born to be. I've had even friendly does become touch-me-nots when pregnant, so if she does have babies on the way, that may be playing into it, too.
I was at the chickens run a moment ago (the rabbit hutches are there) and i wanted to check if she has water in the bowl as she doesn't like to drink from the bottle thingy (but sometimes she does). I didn't even come close enough and she started stamping ;-; Look's like the babies are coming soon, am i right?

Just a heads up, there is a risk that she will abandon this litter if she was bred by you as well. Rabbits have 2 uteruses, thus they can be bred 2x. Her body will have the first litter, but then may withhold milk because she still has babies developing. But if she doesn't and does care for them, the second littler probably won't survive because the first litter is older and take all of the milk

Just a heads up, there is a risk that she will abandon this litter if she was bred by you as well. Rabbits have 2 uteruses, thus they can be bred 2x. Her body will have the first litter, but then may withhold milk because she still has babies developing. But if she doesn't and does care for them, the second littler probably won't survive because the first litter is older and take all of the milk

Do you know how often that happens? I think it's very rare.

Hi, I'm going to have a rabbit (one female). I've got 4 rabbit cages near the chicken coop, so she'd live in one, but as there wouldn't be any other rabbits for now i was thinking about putting her in some kind of cage in the coop at night, so nobody would steal her, nor she'd feel alone/scared. Would mites or chickens bother her? Or the heat (there is warm in the coop with 20 chickens i think?) Gotta buy a padlock for the cage. Btw everybody says that rabbits can handle being in cages outside in winter, as they prefer cold than warm. I'm talking about those mixed breeds rabbits that people keep for food, etc.
Numerous schools of thought on keeping rabbit and chickens together. Mites ARE an issue as well as Salmonila. Temperature issues can be addressed, Commit to where housed (inside or out) Ma Nature will assist, coat density, etc. Just maintain environment. Like blanketing a horse then in November decided too warm to keep covered. It would Not adapt well, No time. Consistancy.
Rabbits actually do better in cold climates than very hot temperatures. Just keep Out of wind/drafts, don't get them wet. I use plenty of hay, insulating, soft bed and snack.
Best of luck with your venture.

Do you know how to care for the babies should they be abandoned?
Mom KNOWS she n family are prey for Every carnivorous creature ever born. Leave "abandoned" kits where they are, take flour and make a circle around nest n babies, you will see mom has not abandoned by tracks/disturbances in flour ring Numerous times throughout day n night. Even newborns can survive 12 hours without tending.

Back
Top Bottom