Can I put rabbits in the chicken run?

fiddleblue

Songster
10 Years
Jul 19, 2009
Having begun raising chickens for eggs, I'm considering raising rabbits for meat. Does anyone know whether it would be okay to keep rabbits (Californians) in the chicken run, not in separate cages but able to run with the chickens? Would the chickens peck and hurt them? If so I guess I could put the rabbits INSIDE CAGES inside the chicken run...has anyone done that?

The first thing that comes to mind is the fact that if you leave the rabbits in the run, they are going to dig out! My son had a rabbit get out of his cage (which was in his chicken pen) and the next morning that girl had nearly dug to China! Just a thought!
old.gif

I've seen rabbits and chickens sharing a run, and thought it was the cutest thing ever! This was long before I was "into" chickens, so I can't remember any of the details about the run. But they definitely seemed to be getting along just fine. Would like to hear more comments on this!.....

Now that I'm thinking about this, I have a client who has several rabbits in a "run" that is made of chicken wire, I think it is only 3' high! and open on top. It was quite large maybe 20' by 20'. I asked him if they ever dug out, and he said no--if they have enough area, they seem happy to stay within the run! They had hay bales stacked for them to go into for shelter. I believe they took them out at night and put them in hutches.

Last edited:
I put my 2 bunnies in with my quail (in a 2-story cage) for temporary housing and they ate all the feathers off my quail! The poor quail are running around naked. Stupid rabbits...

rabbits can kill chickens definitely.

rabbits can be very rough.

I never seen bunnies in with chickens.....so just going by the few things I know. Another thread on here about rabbits before---the owner said her rabbit killed a few chickens.

So if you combine them, be ready for possible problem...or it might work out great???

I have in cages. BUT the bottom of the cage has to be high enough so the chickens can't pick at the rabbits feet. If it is too low, the chickens will pick & pick until they draw blood. The chickens love to hunt for food in the rabbit droppings. I am talking about outside in the run! I would not put the rabbits in the coop.

Where are you? I am looking for some Californians for myself, or New Zealands.

rocmoc n AZ

Last edited:
It's bad for both animals. It always irritates me going into the poultry barn at the fair and the rabbits are in there with the chickens. The coccidiosis threat is very bad for rabbits, along with the dust and mites, lice, ect. The chickens are fine but it's unhealthy for the rabbits. Plus if you run them together chickens can peck eyes out, rabbits can chew legs/feathers..in nature they do not hang out together:bun
critters on the ground all the time can pick up soil parasites so it's important to have a good deworming schedule if you are going to keep them on the ground.

Back
Top Bottom