Can I put rabbits in the chicken run?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by fiddleblue, Nov 9, 2009.

1. fiddleblue

fiddleblue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    Having begun raising chickens for eggs, I'm considering raising rabbits for meat. Does anyone know whether it would be okay to keep rabbits (Californians) in the chicken run, not in separate cages but able to run with the chickens? Would the chickens peck and hurt them? If so I guess I could put the rabbits INSIDE CAGES inside the chicken run...has anyone done that?

2. saboyd

saboyd Out Of The Brooder

Aug 28, 2008
    The first thing that comes to mind is the fact that if you leave the rabbits in the run, they are going to dig out! My son had a rabbit get out of his cage (which was in his chicken pen) and the next morning that girl had nearly dug to China! Just a thought![​IMG]

3. chookchick

chookchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Olympia WA
    I've seen rabbits and chickens sharing a run, and thought it was the cutest thing ever! This was long before I was "into" chickens, so I can't remember any of the details about the run. But they definitely seemed to be getting along just fine. Would like to hear more comments on this!.....

Now that I'm thinking about this, I have a client who has several rabbits in a "run" that is made of chicken wire, I think it is only 3' high! and open on top. It was quite large maybe 20' by 20'. I asked him if they ever dug out, and he said no--if they have enough area, they seem happy to stay within the run! They had hay bales stacked for them to go into for shelter. I believe they took them out at night and put them in hutches.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2009
  4. okiechick57

okiechick57 Chillin' With My Peeps

I so want to know if this is possible....but Saboyd is correct......they dig tunnels and are fast .......so it would have to be something that nothing could dig / tunnel out of...........

5. TrystInn

TrystInn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2009
    Southern Arizona
    No, you really shouldn't. Cross contaminations of germs, lice and diseases will get you in quite a lot of vet bills.

6. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    I put my 2 bunnies in with my quail (in a 2-story cage) for temporary housing and they ate all the feathers off my quail! The poor quail are running around naked. Stupid rabbits...

7. gsim

gsim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    East Tennessee
    Was thinking that the very idea was for the birds, but then.........[​IMG]

8. FarmerChick

FarmerChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    North Carolina
    rabbits can kill chickens definitely.

rabbits can be very rough.

I never seen bunnies in with chickens.....so just going by the few things I know. Another thread on here about rabbits before---the owner said her rabbit killed a few chickens.

So if you combine them, be ready for possible problem...or it might work out great???

9. rocmoc

rocmoc Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2009
    Tucson, AZ
    I have in cages. BUT the bottom of the cage has to be high enough so the chickens can't pick at the rabbits feet. If it is too low, the chickens will pick & pick until they draw blood. The chickens love to hunt for food in the rabbit droppings. I am talking about outside in the run! I would not put the rabbits in the coop.

Where are you? I am looking for some Californians for myself, or New Zealands.

rocmoc n AZ

Last edited: Nov 10, 2009
  10. Overeasyplz

Overeasyplz Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    Leesburg
    It's bad for both animals. It always irritates me going into the poultry barn at the fair and the rabbits are in there with the chickens. The coccidiosis threat is very bad for rabbits, along with the dust and mites, lice, ect. The chickens are fine but it's unhealthy for the rabbits. Plus if you run them together chickens can peck eyes out, rabbits can chew legs/feathers..in nature they do not hang out together:bun
    critters on the ground all the time can pick up soil parasites so it's important to have a good deworming schedule if you are going to keep them on the ground.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by