Can I put refrigerated eggs under a broody hen?

miss_thenorth

Songster
12 Years
Dec 28, 2007
SW Ont, Canada
Sorry if this question has been asked before, but I definitely have a broody hen. I have collected eggs in the days prior to today, and they are definitely fertilized, but they are in the fridge now. Can I put them under the broody hen?

Most eggs stored under 45F no longer have a viable embryo. If they have been in the frig more than a day I don't think they will be hatchable. But there is always an exception and people with other experiences that have had success.

Sure you can...but depending on how cold your fridge is will determine if they hatch.

BUT.....

I'd suggest you take an egg out the fridge and mark it so you will know which one it is and put it under her.
An egg will make her just as content as 12 and this way if anyone else lays in the nest with her you can remove that egg and save it up with the others you gather for the next 2 or 3 days or until you get how many you want her to sit on. Then slip the ones you have saved under her and throw the other egg down across the field OR in the garbage.
If she is not seperated from the other hens, mark the ones you've saved that you put under her too. And check her daily to make sure others are not laying in the nest.
Good luck!
Keep us posted!

I would just let her sit until the next morning, when there will be fresh eggs. If she is truly broody, she isn't going anywhere. (Broodies..
roll.png
)

That way, you don't have to worry about the eggs having been too cold in the fridge because you know they'll be fresh and ready to go.

Unless, she is your only hen(and there will not be eggs tomorrow morning) then you could try eggs from the refridgerator and hope for the best.

-Kim

Thanks,--I thought about waiting until tomorrow, and I think I might try that. Is there anything I need to do for her? She is my first broody ever. She hasn't gotten up all day, and gets extremely agitated when I go near her. Should I bring food and water near to her? She is quite a distance away from the feed area.

edited to add, --I was out there earlier and I saw her turning some golfballs that i had in the nesting box

Last edited:
I recently put 5 refrigerated eggs under a broody. 4 of the 5 developed. Then I moved the hen to the barn, and she quit on me. If I would have left her well enough alone I think they would have hatched. I would recommend fresh eggs if possible though.

Back
Top Bottom