Can I put something in my top hat's crest to slick her feathers back

Chris_nc

Hatching
Sep 10, 2023
Hello, first time poster. I have some 6wk old polish tophat chicks, and one of them already has a crazy crest. She was seeming overly sleepy, but otherwise eating/drinking ok. Basically she would seem fine, but once she stopped moving, her head would slowly droop like she was sleepy. Thanks to this forum I ruled out wry neck, and someone else said thier one polish seemed sluggish and realized it was because her vision was so bad, and was better after a haircut. So I investigated her more, and prepared to trim feathers, and I think what is going on is that some of the feathers are growing curled towards her eyes. So as soon as she doesn't neeeed to see, to find the food or whatever, she closes her eyes to protect them, then just might as well go to sleep out of boredom, I suppose. Problem is, she's still growing and most of those feathers are new and a lot of pin feathers, so i can't trim the ones that really need it. I don't want to tie it back out of concerns the rubber band will come off and it gets ingested. So...my question is this, is there anything i can use to slick her feathers back to at least get them out of her eyes, that is safe and won't draw the attention of other chicks? Basically hair gel for chickens lol? Coconut oil? Vegetable glycerin? Etc.
I have a chlorhexidine spray for my dog that is clear and somewhat tacky (could maybe act like hairspray) if that's safe for use around chickens.

Ps, I'm thinking once the feathers completely grow as she gets older, they will shift some and not be as much of a problem actually poking her in the eyes

When I had polish I had to give haircuts. Honestly, I can't think of anything you could apply that wouldn't run into their eyes or stay slicked back enough once it dries or stay put in the wind.

So...my question is this, is there anything i can use to slick her feathers back to at least get them out of her eyes, that is safe and won't draw the attention of other chicks? Basically hair gel for chickens lol? Coconut oil? Vegetable glycerin? Etc.
I have a chlorhexidine spray for my dog that is clear and somewhat tacky (could maybe act like hairspray) if that's safe for use around chickens.

Ps, I'm thinking once the feathers completely grow as she gets older, they will shift some and not be as much of a problem actually poking her in the eyes
Welcome To BYC

Do you have photos of the chick?

To answer your question: Terramycin eye ointment, Original Neosporin or Vetericyn eye gel can be used on, in or near the eyes. You can try one of those to see if they help slick back the feathers. The other chicks may or may not be attracted, so you'll just have to observe behaviors.

Hopefully once she gets older the feathers will become longer and softer and not bother her so much, but trimming around the eyes seems to be a good idea.

If she doesn't improve once you correct the feathers around her face, then there may be more going on with her.

I have a polish chick that seems to have narcolepsy too! I think her crest is too heavy perhaps? She sleeps on a roost with her head hanging down, or on the grass with her head straight out in front of her. I watch her frequently keep dozing off then startling awake. I thought she was dead the other day just lying there! My other polish chicks from the same batch don't do this, neither has any polish chick I have ever raised in the many years I've kept them so I'm a bit stumped. She is otherwise healthy.

I trim their crests at the sides to reduce the ones that curl into their eyes. Just keep trimming those little wispy side-of-the-eye feathers every week. It's easy to avoid any thick pin feathers.

I think tying them up will pull and hurt them. As will glueing
20230911_192650.jpg
them together with gel.

Here she is falling asleep in my lap.

Hello, first time poster. I have some 6wk old polish tophat chicks, and one of them already has a crazy crest. She was seeming overly sleepy, but otherwise eating/drinking ok. Basically she would seem fine, but once she stopped moving, her head would slowly droop like she was sleepy. Thanks to this forum I ruled out wry neck, and someone else said thier one polish seemed sluggish and realized it was because her vision was so bad, and was better after a haircut. So I investigated her more, and prepared to trim feathers, and I think what is going on is that some of the feathers are growing curled towards her eyes. So as soon as she doesn't neeeed to see, to find the food or whatever, she closes her eyes to protect them, then just might as well go to sleep out of boredom, I suppose. Problem is, she's still growing and most of those feathers are new and a lot of pin feathers, so i can't trim the ones that really need it. I don't want to tie it back out of concerns the rubber band will come off and it gets ingested. So...my question is this, is there anything i can use to slick her feathers back to at least get them out of her eyes, that is safe and won't draw the attention of other chicks? Basically hair gel for chickens lol? Coconut oil? Vegetable glycerin? Etc.

Hey Chris, did you find something that works? I’m having the same problem with my 6 week of Polish. I don’t think we can cut the feathers just yet, but poor thing is not having a good time.

Back
Top Bottom