Can I save my chicks from coccidiosis once the blood starts?

Jul 31, 2020
Title odd yes but I need to know.
I had one chick show signs for less than 2 days before dying in my arms today. Already treating with cocciprol since this morning but another was already starting to show blood and it’s getting darker like the last chick. She’s not weak yet and has been eating but the same happened yesterday and she went from running around to dead in less than 18 hours. Will the cocciprol work in time or am I doomed to lose another chick? Please have any of you had them recover from this point?

There is no telling really!
I last year I had bloody poop with my chicks. They all survived. Even though I have to say I did cull 3 or 4 because they didn't look good. But I had to make sure the others make it. Did you give them the meds yet?

oops.. just saw.. you did! :confused:
Let's hope!! It depends so much on their condition etc. Sounds good that she is eating though!

Yeah they’ve all been taking it since the morning and it’s 9pm now. But I heard it can take a couple days to work is that correct? I’m freaking out that she’ll get suddenly worse like the last one and I’ll lose her too. I lost my whole flock last year and a silkie on new years eve to what we believe may have been an intestinal blockage as her sister is completely fine and never got sick. We are treating the silkies as a precaution as well. But they seem fine. 2 of the 4 are showing no symptoms and one mild like frothy poop. The one I lost today was eating up until this morning too. I know some last longer and react differently but she was a seemingly strong chicken. I don’t think I could stand losing another.

She also didn’t make it. I don’t know how I can help them. I’m worried the others will get like her too. She had symptoms for such a short amount of time and the medication didn’t have time to work.

I will give the disclaimer that what I did to save my girls from coccidiosis last fall was not to the manufacturer’s directions, but I was desperate and it worked.

As soon as I found two of my pullets dead, I left to get medicine. My local feed store only had liquid Corid 9.6% in stock. This is the one that’s rated for use in cows, not chickens. In the 30 minutes it took me to get the meds and rush home, my chickens had gone from looking concerning to being unable to sit for more than a minute without tipping over, and I knew they wouldn’t make it if I waited for them to drink a properly mixed solution. I filled a syringe (sans needle, of course), pried their beaks open, and shot about 1mL undiluted amprolium per chicken straight into their mouths. I didn’t loose a single chicken who got the orally administered amprolium. I did the math and titrated the cow-strength amprolium to the proper chicken strength and put them on the standard treatment after that, just to be safe, but I think the initial treatment is what saved them. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom