Can I see some Black copper maran

EvansMeXo

Songster
May 20, 2017
Nova Scotia
does anyone have pics of black copper marans from birth to maturity? Roosters and hens? I just picked up 3 and I want to try and figure out what to watch for as they get older.. their supposedly the same age as my easter egger (2 weeks) but their half the size.. so I'm thinking either my easter egger is older or they are younger

Attachments

• IMG_2177.JPG
    IMG_2177.JPG
    209.5 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_2178.JPG
    IMG_2178.JPG
    454.2 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_2181.JPG
    IMG_2181.JPG
    205 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_2183.JPG
    IMG_2183.JPG
    609 KB · Views: 8
Hi there..
Where did you purchase these chicks?

From a guy off of a local Facebook group, one of the pure breed maritime groups.. he said he ordered the eggs and his bantie hatched them... do you think they might not Be black copper marans? I spent a long time hunting for these
Chicks local, I'm reaaally hoping they are

Color is right but the amount of feathering and growth are slow for that age, if its accurate. Did he happen to show you pics of the eggs they hatched from? The demand for black coppers has created a lot of low quality hatchery and backyard lines with disappointing egg colors, so be prepared.

By week 4-5 you should notice the beginning of combs for roos. FBCM's are one of the fastest maturing birds. I have a whole coop full of them along with some OE hens. I have noticed when I have run my own hatches that your coloring is good, for a newly laid chick, but they appear to be very young. They haven't really feathered yet. You will see some tell tale sex characteristics for males rather quickly. The roos start budding combs quickly. You should start seeing those ridges soon depending on your straight run luck. I find the roosters dispositions can vary, but they are usually, at the very least-stand offish. However, I have found their meat to be full of a lot of flavor.

I'm really hoping their what I wanted! I didn't think to ask to see a pic of the eggs! He said they were very dark.. I guess it'll be a waiting game, I hope their just younger than what he said I'll be so disappointed if I don't get those beautiful dark eggs! One of them is very fast and bolts all around the brooder when I try to pick her up, it's also the biggest so I'm thinking this one is going to be a rooster, the other two are slightly smaller and seem to like sleeping in my shirt lol. When I got them he had to fish them out from under a hen.. their sooo petite and only have a tiny bit of wing feathers

I'm really hoping their what I wanted! I didn't think to ask to see a pic of the eggs! He said they were very dark.. I guess it'll be a waiting game, I hope their just younger than what he said I'll be so disappointed if I don't get those beautiful dark eggs! One of them is very fast and bolts all around the brooder when I try to pick her up, it's also the biggest so I'm thinking this one is going to be a rooster, the other two are slightly smaller and seem to like sleeping in my shirt lol. When I got them he had to fish them out from under a hen.. their sooo petite and only have a tiny bit of wing feathers

First eggs from hens tend to be double yokers or on the smaller side. They usually lay very dark at the beginning of their laying cycle, and it will naturally lighten up as the year progresses. And then by Spring nice and dark again. That being said, they are impossible to candle. They are too dark for the light to penetrate.

First eggs from hens tend to be double yokers or on the smaller side. They usually lay very dark at the beginning of their laying cycle, and it will naturally lighten up as the year progresses. And then by Spring nice and dark again. That being said, they are impossible to candle. They are too dark for the light to penetrate.

I am able to candle mine, but I use a 800 lumen head lamp. Mine are about a 7 on the Marans egg color chart.

Evansmexo- don't expect almost black as those are extremely rare, and if you can get a breeder to sell you one tat lays that you would pay $$$$

I am able to candle mine, but I use a 800 lumen head lamp. Mine are about a 7 on the Marans egg color chart.

Evansmexo- don't expect almost black as those are extremely rare, and if you can get a breeder to sell you one tat lays that you would pay $$$$

Ya I doubt they'll be that dark lol it would be a miracle (eventually I hope to find some!) but I'm really hoping I didn't get the ones that aren't actually laying dark eggs.. I'm trying to build up a variety of different breeds so my toddlers have a rainbow of eggs to collect come the fall

Back
Top Bottom