Can I sell chickens?

DogAndCat36

Crowing
Mar 12, 2020
Northern Maine
I am 15 years old and I live in Maine. Found a bunch of stashed eggs and gave about 25 good vital eggs to my crazed, broody hen. My parents said that I can sell the chicks when the hen gets bored of them. Can I sell unvaccinated chickens at my age and area?

I'm just saying basically when they get old enough to be independent from the mom and they stop flocking as a small group and group up with the rest.
The age of the chicks when they become independent depends. It depends mostly on the mom’s connection to them. You would also have a difficult time selling any roosters, and people would be upset if they got a rooster that they didn’t want.

And by the way it’s technically illegal for you to sell chicks at your age and it would all be under the table money.

It would also be traumatic for the chicks, as they would be separated by the only flock and the only chickens they had even known.

So I wouldn’t sell at your age, but if you really want to sell them really not much is stopping you. The laws aren’t really enforced but someone could rat you out if they were a jerk. I would sell them in your parents name to prevent that.

The age of the chicks when they become independent depends. It depends mostly on the mom’s connection to them. You would also have a difficult time selling any roosters, and people would be upset if they got a rooster that they didn’t want.

And by the way it’s technically illegal for you to sell chicks at your age and it would all be under the table money.

It would also be traumatic for the chicks, as they would be separated by the only flock and the only chickens they had even known.

So I wouldn’t sell at your age, but if you really want to sell them really not much is stopping you. The laws aren’t really enforced but someone could rat you out if they were a jerk. I would sell them in your parents name to prevent that.
My parents will be helping me of course. I am taking the pictures, posting on websites, and finding trustable people to buy the chickens. All will be lead by my parents. But, pushing that aside the chicks will be mature enough for people to know the genders and I have seen it before, chickens can adjust to new family's at a young age quickly and do not receive anything near permanent tramma. Receptively speaking here.

My parents will be helping me of course. I am taking the pictures, posting on websites, and finding trustable people to buy the chickens. All will be lead by my parents. But, pushing that aside the chicks will be mature enough for people to know the genders and I have seen it before, chickens can adjust to new family's at a young age quickly and do not receive anything near permanent tramma. Receptively speaking here.
I don’t know. Chickens are very smart animals and have very long memory. My chickens still remember a chick that died with them while they were just a few days old!

People probably won’t want to buy the roosters, or at the most maybe one or two people will get one.

I can't think of a reason why a fifteen year-old could not sell chicks of whatever age. Many in 4H sell the animals they have raised at our local county fair every year. I live in Arizona, but I would think that you could contact your local 4H in Main and get excellent guidance on how to go about your plan. Future Farmers of America was available in Oregon where I grew up and we got school credit for our projects like the one you are planning. Best of luck in your future chicken business! :yesss: I like seeing future chicken breeders here!

I am 15 years old and I live in Maine. Found a bunch of stashed eggs and gave about 25 good vital eggs to my crazed, broody hen. My parents said that I can sell the chicks when the hen gets bored of them. Can I sell unvaccinated chickens at my age and area?
I don’t see why not. If you know what your doing and the chicks are in good health you should be fine.

Back
Top Bottom