can I tell if my goose egg is fertile by cracking it open?

Faith Hope

Songster
10 Years
Nov 25, 2009
Illinois
Okay. Here is the question: Can I tell if a goose egg is fertile the same way I tell chickens and turkeys?

Here is my story: I have had a pair of white Chinese swan geese since last spring. They were about a week old when we got them. As they developed, one seemed obviously female and one male based on behavior, and as they continued to develop, the "gander" developed a bigger, brighter knob and continued to act protective and dominant. My girls even showed both geese in 4H last summer. The"gander" did very well; in fact, the judge said if he had been a bit older, he would have one the whole show because he was such a good example of a MALE Chinese swan goose.

The female developed a pouch and has been laying off and on since last fall. Last fall, I checked a few eggs, they looked infertile to me (based on my experience with chicken eggs). This spring I have cracked a few, and I definitely saw the bull's eye. So I thought we were set to let them hatch out babies. They have a nest of about 10 eggs right now.

HOWEVER, yesterday I went out, and the "male" was on the nest, and when I looked close, there was an egg that was wet and had obviously just come out of "him",
he.gif
Not a gander -- but now I am completely confused, since I thought my eggs were fertile -- help!

Now, there is a pond across the street, and we see wild geese all the time. Is it possible they could fertiilze them?

We are so disappointed because we thought we had a pair.

Okay. Here is the question: Can I tell if a goose egg is fertile the same way I tell chickens and turkeys?

Here is my story: I have had a pair of white Chinese swan geese since last spring. They were about a week old when we got them. As they developed, one seemed obviously female and one male based on behavior, and as they continued to develop, the "gander" developed a bigger, brighter knob and continued to act protective and dominant. My girls even showed both geese in 4H last summer. The"gander" did very well; in fact, the judge said if he had been a bit older, he would have one the whole show because he was such a good example of a MALE Chinese swan goose.

The female developed a pouch and has been laying off and on since last fall. Last fall, I checked a few eggs, they looked infertile to me (based on my experience with chicken eggs). This spring I have cracked a few, and I definitely saw the bull's eye. So I thought we were set to let them hatch out babies. They have a nest of about 10 eggs right now.

HOWEVER, yesterday I went out, and the "male" was on the nest, and when I looked close, there was an egg that was wet and had obviously just come out of "him",
he.gif
Not a gander -- but now I am completely confused, since I thought my eggs were fertile -- help!

Now, there is a pond across the street, and we see wild geese all the time. Is it possible they could fertiilze them?

We are so disappointed because we thought we had a pair.
Shouldn't be too hard to find a gander for your girls. or a gosling and let the girls raise him up. What do you mean by could the wild geese across the street fertilize them? Do your geese live at the pond?

My geese do not live on a pond. They swim in a small swimming pool -- really funny!

My neighbors across the street have a pond that usually has a few wild geese on it. Last year we saw baby geese out there. I have never caught my geese across the street, but I have wondered about where they were a time or to and then saw them coming from over that direction.

My former "gander" is now sitting on her eggs happily. I hope they are actually fertile.

Back
Top Bottom