Can I trim my Silkie's crest?

Happy Day Farm

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 14, 2010
I have a gorgeous 6 month old Silkie. She is far more docile than the other hens, even the other 2 Silkies. She comes when I call her but spends a lot of time sitting alone if we are not outside. She will even sit in the coop alone all day until I go in and take her out. I started realizing that I don't think she can see well. She has a large crest that is a big, round puff. You cannot even see her eyes without pulling her crest back. Should I trim it back? I think she may seem so "lost" because she cannot see.

It wont hurt her.Unless you plan to show her.I have lost a few silkie's and some polish due to hawk's free ranging and figure it was due to lack of vertical vision with them.They can basicaly only see from the crest to ground.Maybe someone else can chime in but personaly If she is just a pet it shouldnt bother her at all.

yippiechickie.gif
I usually trim a bit or use those dog barrets which seem to hold the poof in place.

I think its too "puffy" like a cotton ball to hold it back with a barette. I think I may try to trim it back and see if it helps. I feel bad for her. She gets picked on and sits alone a lot and I really think its because she can't see. I may try the gel suggestion just to see if it helps before we trim it. I may also try to post a photo tomorrow. Thanks so much!!!

Back
Top Bottom