Can I trim my Silkie's crest?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Happy Day Farm, Jun 14, 2010.

1. Happy Day Farm

Happy Day Farm Out Of The Brooder

Jun 14, 2010
    I have a gorgeous 6 month old Silkie. She is far more docile than the other hens, even the other 2 Silkies. She comes when I call her but spends a lot of time sitting alone if we are not outside. She will even sit in the coop alone all day until I go in and take her out. I started realizing that I don't think she can see well. She has a large crest that is a big, round puff. You cannot even see her eyes without pulling her crest back. Should I trim it back? I think she may seem so "lost" because she cannot see.

2. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes, get someone to hold her down and trim around her eyes with a pair of scissors. I've done this before with Polish and can tell you that it does help alot.

3. dieselgrl48

dieselgrl48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Virginia
    It wont hurt her.Unless you plan to show her.I have lost a few silkie's and some polish due to hawk's free ranging and figure it was due to lack of vertical vision with them.They can basicaly only see from the crest to ground.Maybe someone else can chime in but personaly If she is just a pet it shouldnt bother her at all.

4. revolutionmama

revolutionmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2008
    CabinInTheWoods
    [​IMG] I usually trim a bit or use those dog barrets which seem to hold the poof in place.

5. KybraBoss

KybraBoss Out Of The Brooder

if you want to show her use hair gel to get it up, and make sure you get it all out when you wash her up for showing

6. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    You can also use a hairband to gather it up loosely.

7. Happy Day Farm

Jun 14, 2010
    I think its too "puffy" like a cotton ball to hold it back with a barette. I think I may try to trim it back and see if it helps. I feel bad for her. She gets picked on and sits alone a lot and I really think its because she can't see. I may try the gel suggestion just to see if it helps before we trim it. I may also try to post a photo tomorrow. Thanks so much!!!

8. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    You could always buy a diaper and bring her inside [​IMG]

9. stumble_n_mumble

stumble_n_mumble Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    Don't do it!!!!! My silkies poof was beautiful until I chopped at it and it has never come back the same!!!!!

10. Happy Day Farm

Jun 14, 2010
    If I don't trim it, will she be able to see?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by