can i trim their nails?

vtsarahb

Songster
10 Years
Apr 16, 2009
Bradford, VT
this is kind of a silly question, but....

my two week-olds are very friendly- whenever I go in to visit them, they like to hop up onto my hands/arms and hang out with me. however, their little dinosaur nails are starting to get quite sharp, and I get scratched up a bit if one tries to climb up my arm. can I trim their nails a little? will it even help? or should I just stick to longsleeve shirts?

I vote for the long-sleeve shirt. As careful as you could be, you could cut some of the muscle/tissue underneath. Second, I don't think it would help to trim the nails, they would still scratch you a bit unless you're very, very, very precise while trimming. Third, they could flap around like madness unless you string them up like a pinata or something and while clipping/trimming, you could damage their toes. Then again, I've never tried it. Who knows?

I'm sporting a nice scratch on my arm from one of my 7 week old black astralorps, I've learned my lesson now, wear a long sleeve shirt or sweater for sure! I don't know much about chickens just yet but I wouldn't cut the nails they have a purpose for when they are outside as it helps them scratch the ground to find food. Good luck!

You can trim thier nails. Ive done several of mine. You just cant trim them alot, or youll get into the quick. But you can definitley trim the sharp points off of thier nails.

As the official dog and cat toenail trimmer, I'm pretty sure you can trim chicks' toenails as well. Like B. Saffles Farms said, just the very tip because they have a quick just like dogs do.

Couldn't be any harder than trying to hold a cat down for it. I would make someone else hold the body and you just hold the toe you are trimming.

I personally probably wouldn't do it for mine though. They don't need it.

Maybe you should send them outside to scratch around?? Dirt is like a natural nail file
wink.png

no the question is how did you get your chicks to be so friendly and be happy to see you?? Mine still huddle in the corner, and try to get as far away from me as possible!

Personally, I wouldn't. I do enough nails with 5 large dogs and several client dogs. The chickens need their nails to be in good shape for scratching and digging for bugs and stuff in the dirt. Once you clip them, you might create a nail environment that more easily splits the nails. And that is Never fun. You could file them with a soft emery board to make the nail more rounded, but I wouldn't cut them with clippers. I'd rather spoil myself with luscious lotions after being with the chickens rather than going out with long sleeves and trimming nails. Happy chicken holding!!!
smile.png

Quote:
treats are definitely the way to go- my chicks love mash (just their starter, mixed with some water), crushed up cheerios, bits of shredded cheese, and little broccoli buds. they were afraid of me at first too, but now whenever I go to see them I can't keep them off of me.
smile.png

thanks everyone for your advice- I think I could manage to trim their nails, but I won't... don't want to hurt their little feet!

Back
Top Bottom