1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can I turn the eggs like this...?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by SeptemberQuail, Oct 28, 2012.

1. SeptemberQuail

SeptemberQuail Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2012
    Australia
    I have around 30 eggs (all in total from both my hens that are laying; I know they're fertile, male's mounted them both.) and the incubator is almost ready (it's a homemade styrofoam cooler incubator). After we prepare the final touches and make sure the temps alright, we should be putting the eggs in soon.

I have a fat permanent marker that is instant drying but I don't trust it all that well, but I've been marking half my eggs with those, but have stopped recently.
    I was thinking of buying a sharpie today but forgot (apparently sharpie's are safe for eggs), and I have no crayons.
    And I have coturnix quail eggs, so using a lead pencil will be hard as it'd be hard to make out where it is with all the brown blobs.

So instead of writing an X and an O, and turning it one by one, can I just put my hand in the incubator, on top of the eggs and just gently move my hand so the eggs roll along with it? I saw it being done on a video before as an example of an incubator the person had made; just that they weren't incubating the eggs (can't find the video source).

Thanks. ^-^

2. Quyen Le

Quyen Le Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2012
    I rolled the eggs and some of them got cracked

3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    I don't think that'll be sufficient. You'll have to roll them many times a day if you do that, whereas if you are turning them completely you can do them minimum 3x a day. How long have you been storing the eggs and have you turned them?

I used an eye make up pencil to mark my hatching eggs.

4. SeptemberQuail

SeptemberQuail Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2012
    Australia
    Oh, we're just testing our incubator tonight, humidity remains at 40% and temperature ranges from 35 to 39 degrees celcius, so far; We're adjusting the light amount with a dimmer and seeing what works best to maintain proper temps, so far it's at 38.0 currently.
    If all goes well we should be putting the eggs in tomorrow afternoon (since I have school to attend to).

What I've used for around 15 eggs (for my first eggs that my quail lay) I marked them with a regular permanent marker, so not fine tip. It's instant drying, but doesn't say is non-toxic, I've stopped marking them on my other eggs recently, but I'm just wondering, do you think that marker is safe though?

Otherwise I think I can go with the eye-liner. :3
    But one more thing though, that I'd like to ask.
    Since my incubator is a styrofoam cooler, I'd need to turn each egg individually and I'd need to open the lid, meaning that the warm air would escape -- how long can I leave the lid on exactly so I can turn the eggs? ^-^

Last edited: Oct 28, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by