Can I Use Landscape Timbers for Fence Posts?

My dad used landscape timbers on our old dog pen. I think we did it about 5 years ago. I've taken the pen fence down, but I'm reusing most all the posts for my chicken run as they still seem solid. I've used both metal T-posts and wood posts in fencing around my place. In the garden the T-posts often have to be re-pounded as they seem to move alongside the plowed area. With wood you can attach cross bars of wood if you want to stabilize the fence at the top and bottom. My overhead netting also gets attached to the cross bars. Only my corner timbers are reinforced with concrete. I just bought more landscape timbers to use on the run extension I'm doing. Only cost me $2 each when the 4x4 posts or round fence posts were marked at $6.

ETA -- That dog pen had to have been built more like 7 years ago.

Also, around the farm we have lots of fence built with small locust tree trunks. Most have been in the ground going on 20 years and still holding up fence for cattle.

Last edited:
I'd go with the landscape timbers, if they're the best buy. Careful using too much cement. What if you decide to move their quarters somewhere else? I used Sakrete sparingly a few years back to build a stand for my (aluminum) canoe, so I could dig it up later on.
A farm (on my way to work) dug up their entire west fencing, took out ALL of the cement, and replaced same fencing.

I live on the property (5 acreds) that used to surround a farm. 2 farmers (in a row) lived here and somebody put ALL of the corner fence posts in 2 1/2 ft. of cement!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGHHH!!

I was tilling a new garden and took out one (of 7) that have to be moved. I only moved THIS ONE because it had 4 inches of broken metal fencepost sticking out of it!!!!!
(Sorry for the RANT!)
BTW, I dug it partially out, put chains on it, dragged it to the street--with my TRUCK!!, flipped it upside down, and will paint my street address on it this summer.

So maybe I should use a mix of posts some timbers to save money and some t-posts for longevity. I wanted the wood to be able to put boards at the top to attach my netting so I will have to figure that out. Thanks for all the input

I use landscaping timber for a lot of things. I live in FL and we do have problems with termites and carp ants. I used some timbers when I first moved in about 4 years ago and was in a hurry and just put some of them in the ground. Now some of those are needing replaced. The ones that I have coated the part in the ground with either deck stain or tar have lasted great. The last batch I bought I found cheap on sale at home depot for $1.97 a post. Not perfect posts but with them I just painted the whole post with deck stain (worked out great with what I was using them for). Even with the tar or stain, the t-posts would have cost more. So I would say timbers fine, just coat the part going into the ground with something.
*ETA that I do not use the t-post if can help it because I have seen too many animals push them over. Non of which were chickens, but still with a run you want to keep other animals out also. With the timbers being so long you can put more into the ground.

Last edited:
We did the land scape timbers seem to hold up better if you ask me!!!
frow.gif

We have used both and prefer the t-post, they have outlasted the landscape timbers, hands down. In my expierience, the landscape timbers arent stout enough and tend to get weak right near the ground even when they have been concreted. But thats, just my expeirience with them.

we use them both we space them 10 feet apart if were looking for support for the top you put a wood one ever 20'and a t post in between our lowes sells 20' treated 2x4s then drill a hole half way thru the 2x4 for the t post to fit in.

If your talking about the landscape timbers that are about 3"x4" and are rounded on 2 sides with 2 flat sides. They have a bad habit of warping when used in an upright position. Home Depot sells the pressure treated ones for 3.98 and the redwood colored ones for 2.98. I have some that are 8"x8" and are 8' long. They work quite well and can be used in corners to pull against. I use T-posts for the line posts between them. T-posts are much easier to remove with a t-post puller if your situation changes. If you use t-posts, be sure to get a t-post driver. It's real difficult to pound them with a sledge.

I have used the landscape timbers and had good results. I used a post hole digger for the hole so it wasn't real big around. I bought a couple 5 gallon buckets of roofing tar and heated it on my turkey frying burner. I used a piece of 6" PVC to hold the tar and then dipped the post in to cover to about 2-1/2 feet. I put the tarred posts in the hole and poured dry sack crete to fill the hole. I also covered the top of the post with tar so rain wouldn't work its way down the grain. The sack crete cured over time and became rock hard. (The slower concrete cures the stronger it is). I think I had 2 or 3 that warped real bad so I dug them up and replaced them. This was about 10 years ago and the fence is still standing. I wish I had it at the house I'm living in now.

Doug

I used landscape timbers to fence in about two acres 18 years ago. I thought when I built it that I would be able to replace the fence in 5 years or so with pipe fencing. Work and life got in the way and the old timbers and woven wire fence is still standing 18 years later, but it looks awful bad. I am now, finally in the process of replacing nearly a 1000 feet of fence. I would go with Tee post and swallow the cost if you are just talking about a chicken run. It was a lot of work digging all those holes. I did not use any concrete, just dug three feet down and tamped them in really well and they have held fast all these years.

Back
Top Bottom