can i use lard in cookies instead of shortening??

Quote:
It's true too! My granny only lived to be 103, if she hadn't have ate all that lard she'd still be with us. Oh well, I guess them experts are a lot smarter than us country folk?
idunno.gif

Quote:
You poor thing.
hugs.gif
If you ever get down this way I'll have ya'll stop for supper and have Terra cook ya'll a real meal.
old.gif

On my way to Mississippi!!!!
lol.png
gig.gif

I guess I am really missing out. I hear it's SOOO good, although I can't really say I've had "southern cooking"... well unless soul food counts (at an african american church) We use butter and olive oil to cook everything. I guess that's healthier...
idunno.gif

Quote:
I'm funny tonight huh? I thought it was anyways.
hide.gif

I really like sweet tea too....maybe I will make some.

Will you eat spinach or asparagus if it has lard in it?

If I'm going to eat asparagus it better have lard or something else good in it, because you know I hate that stuff.
sickbyc.gif
I'd just go out in the pasture and graze before I'd eat asparagus!

Besides, you eat fruitcake...
tongue.gif
anybody that would eat a fruitcake would eat ANYTHING!
lau.gif
gig.gif

I don't eat fruitcake. I just make it for people that like it.
tongue2.gif
You want to try some? I still have some.

I do eat asparagus however.

every grocery store down here in Tennessee sells lard in buckets, you can get 2lbs, 5 lbs and 10 lbs and 20lbs. I don't see who would use the larger buckets unless your doctor said you need to gain weight!
lau.gif
I could use half butter and half lard in my recipe, what do you think?

Hi Taylor! I made Oatmeal Raisin Cookies with *mostly* lard yesterday and they are delicious.
I say *mostly, because the recipe called for 2 1/2 sticks butter and I only had 1/2 stick butter --- I used the 1/2 stick butter and 1 cup lard.
Good luck with your cookies!
smile.png

Lisa

As a child we would make lard after killing hogs. My parents/grandparents would intentionally leave a few pieces of skin in so they'd crackle. It's called Cracklin. My favorite part is that it was done in an old cast iron kettle. I used to pretend they were all witches stirring their pot. LOL BTW, I grew up in Tennessee not Missouri. My dad would tell me when he was a kid, they'd make lie soap the day after lard to take advantage of the kettle. I guess they used lard to make the soap. Lot of work... We changed when I was a kid cause my doctor told my mom my something was too high. We went to vegetable oil and never changed back to lard. Lard is better flavor, makes better bread and pie crust and probably peanut butter cookies too...

Back
Top Bottom