Can I use multiple feeds?

ForFlocksSake

Songster
Jun 2, 2023
North Florida/Panhandle
Do I need to keep my flock on one feed brand at all times or is it ok to use a more whole grain feed like scratch and peck for a breakfast mash and offer regular crumbles from another brand in a feeder for the rest of the day?

I don't really know the right answer. But I look at it this way.

Are the different feeds nutritionally adequate? If one of them is not, then the others need to exceed nutritionally adequate by the amount the lower one is lacking.

Afact layer feed is designed to be nutritionally adequate. Not exceed nutritional requirements by a significant amount. Scratch is not designed to be nutritionally adequate. Its designed to be cheap and attractive. So either the chooks need to eat more.... which probably isn't a solution. As they can only eat so much. Or the free ranging area is particularly good.

Another option..... feed regular pellets/crumble in the feeder. Use a coarse layer mash for breakfast. Nothing missing in that.

But I could just be over thinking it all. Just do it and see if they stay in good condition and lay at least as well as they always have. The proof is always in the pudding after all.

Last edited:
I don't really know the right answer. But I look at it this way.

Are the different feeds nutritionally adequate? If one of them is not, then the others need to exceed nutritionally adequate by the amount the lower one is lacking.

Afact layer feed is designed to be nutritionally adequate. Not exceed nutritional requirements by a significant amount. Scratch is not designed to be nutritionally adequate. Its designed to be cheap and attractive. So either the chooks need to eat more.... which probably isn't a solution. As they can only eat so much. Or the free ranging area is particularly good.

Another option..... feed regular pellets/crumble in the feeder. Use a coarse layer mash for breakfast. Nothing missing in that.

But I could just be over thinking it all. Just do it and see if they stay in good condition and lay at least as well as they always have. The proof is always in the pudding after all.
Sorry I should clarify. scratch and peck is a brand name food that makes whole grain feeds. I wasn’t referring to actual chicken scratch. So essentially your second to last paragraph answered my question 😊.

I do pretty much what you're asking, I offer S&P grower fermented in the morning, when the flock is hungriest, and then layer pellets all day. This way I don't have to worry about how much fermented feed to put out, and the birds always have food available in daylight hours. Depending on the time of year this also lets me tweak the amount of calcium and protein they get - i.e. in winter when no one's laying they get a lot more grower to reduce the amount of calcium they get.

I do pretty much what you're asking, I offer S&P grower fermented in the morning, when the flock is hungriest, and then layer pellets all day. This way I don't have to worry about how much fermented feed to put out, and the birds always have food available in daylight hours. Depending on the time of year this also lets me tweak the amount of calcium and protein they get - i.e. in winter when no one's laying they get a lot more grower to reduce the amount of calcium they get.
Thanks!

Curious where do you buy scratch and peck from?

Back
Top Bottom