Can I use pine shavings as bedding in my rabbit hutch?

Willow's Meadow

Songster
9 Years
Apr 16, 2010
Are pine shavings okay for a rabbit hutch? I heard its bad for them to breathe in....is that true? My rabbit is going to live with the chickens but not on the floor with them(in a hutch). Is it okay if it is breathing in pine shavings because that is what I use for my chickens bedding? Should I use straw in the hutch? Also what should I use as bedding in the litter box?

Last edited:
I prefer to use Aspen bedding, or Paper bedding in their coop, but I do use pine in their litter box as its cheaper and I dump the litter box almost daily

Cedar is what you NEVER want to use!!!!!!!!!!!!

bun.gif

Cedar and to a lesser degree pine have volatile organic components that over an extended period of exposure can cause systemic problems for rodents. Temporarily, pine wold be fine. Over an extended period of time I would want to use something else. Aspen shavings are a good choice, A pen with a wire bottomn and wooden resting board or box works very well for rabbits.

yes u can used pine shaving inside your coop for bedding u can train your rabbit to used a litter pan too. we have rabbit living in our home for 8 yrs once in while we saw a poop on the floor too. he just like a cat using a litter pan

I wouldn't reccomend untreated pine shavings for rabbits...the oils (which are the same as in cedar...there's just less) are very harmful to both the respiratory tract and liver. If you can find kiln dried pine, it is safe and ok to use. The drying process removes the oils. I prefer to use pellets (the pelleting process removes the oils) instead of shavings for my small animals though...much more absorbant and way better odor control. I use horse bedding that I get for less than $7 for a 50 lb bag at TSC

Get kiln dried pine or air it out for a week before using. It will cut down alot on the volatile oils. I use aired out pine in the pans under my rabbit cages. In an enclosed area though I'd probably get kiln dried. The less air flow and ventilation an area has the more concentrated the fumes will get and the more likely you'll have problems. Which is why a few people use cedar without seeing a problem while in most cases it can kill and occasionally people have small animals come down with respiratory problems from pine. The former usually involves a large wire sided coop or pen with a good breeze and the latter usually involves an aquarium or other small solid sided cage. You have to take ventilation in to account when choosing bedding type. Although personally I would never buy cedar even for an a very well ventilated area.

i WAS JUST INFORMED THAT PINE IS BAD FOR RABBITS AND ALSO CHICKENS AND RABBITS DONT GO TOGETHER THEY THE RABBITS CAN GET DISEASE FROM CHICKENS

Back
Top Bottom