Can I use Pine Straw instead of pine shavings

I would worry about the pine needles poking splinters into their feet and getting infected and causing bumblefoot...most commonly folks use pine shavings..less complications...several folks on here have talked about their chickens eating the hay and having impacted crops...me, personally, I would set my chicken outfit up to present the least possible complications!! Good luck

I would say that if your coop stays dry most of the time, that straw will be okay. If you get rain in it, the moisture will start to hay or straw.....then you will have a mess. That is why I like the pine shavings.

Just hanging out with them and feeding them by hand will calm them down.

Have fun with them
Tink

i cant seem to find pine shavings. where is thes best place to come across this. also what is DE? my chicks will be here this week. would really like to have there future home ready when they are big enough to come out of brooder. dont mind doing the pine straw. but most everyone seems to preffer the pine shavings.
hmm.png

sorry guys! not pine straw, but hay. im new at this. but even i dont think pine needles are good idea.

I've never heard of pine straw/hay myself. I'd opt for hay over straw any day if those were my only choices, there is a thread that the FAQ links to about an impacted crop with some graphic pix. Once I read that I swore off straw for the chickens, dogs love it though.

Personally I use pine shavings, your local feed store should have some. My general choices are a Family Farm & Home, a Tractor Supply Center, and the Hardware store I frequent orders some stuff for me when I ask(I get my layer feed from them). Otherwise you could check pet stores, I bet PETCO would carry some for example.

If the run you are going to put them in has grass in it now, then only worry about the shavings inside of the coop until they have eaten and scratched it all up, they will love eating the grass and bugs.

Read about DE here

Back
Top Bottom