Can I use sand as Grit for Ducklings & Ducks, and when should they be given grit?

Ducklearner

In the Brooder
Feb 22, 2021
Question for those Duck keepers out there, who know a lot about Ducklings & Ducks. Am I able to give Ducklings and Ducks sand as grit, I watched a video that a farmer said he uses regular sand, but then they also have grit at the store that you can get for them, so I'm just a little puzzled, because I don't want to be giving them the wrong stuff, that they die. I also learned that you should give it to them grit after three weeks, but a farmer that I watched on you tube gave his ducks grit I believe like seven days after they were born, something like that, maybe even less, and then other people say to give them grit after three weeks, and some people also said when you give them greens, or treats. So my question again is, Are Ducklings able to have sand as grit, and when should they be given grit? 🤔

Last edited:
My understanding is that ducklings shouldn't need grit until you are feeding them produce and treats aside from their duckling crumble. I believe common practice is that ducks who have regular access to the natural ground don't need grit. My ducks forage daily and I don't give them grit. When they were babies inside I gave them chick grit when I started giving them food aside from crumble. They all lived to be adults.

I have never heard of sand being used for grit, that doesn't mean it can't be done. However at one point my veterinarian and I were discussing using sand as substrate and she recommended I do not because of the risk of impaction in adult ducks.

My ducks like to pick through the small bits of gravel, when not covered with snow, for their grit. For the winter I purchase grit for them. I keep the shells from eggs I use. Once dry I crush them into very small pieces and add this to the grit bowl. This is most popular during laying season so I am assuming it is for the additional calcium they want.

Back
Top Bottom