Can I use Tylan 50 to treat bumblefoot?

Loletafarm

In the Brooder
Apr 27, 2019
I’m currently soaking both feet in tricide-Neo twice a day for 10 mins for each soak. Two days of soaking and the abscess is breaking open.
Should I dig it out. I cleaned the yellow hunk out the best I could without doing surgery, but I can tell there is still more in there.

Feeding a great balanced diet. Ropa in the water. Fresh oregano, lettuce. Omegas.

Also, I only have Tylan 50 injectable and duramycin-10 soluble powder.
what else can I use?

After reading some online information i gave her only one injection of tylan 50, 1/2 ml, my girl is 7lbs and I didn’t want to overdose.

Welcome to BYC. Tylan and tetracycline are better for respiratory diseases. For what it is worth, Tylan dosage is 0.25 ml (1/4 ml) per pound given 3 times daily for 3-5 days. You can give it orally slowly. For 7 pounds that would be 1.75 ml.

I have done a dozen bumblefoot surgeries, and never gave antibiotics. If you went to a vet, they probably would give some, just to protect themselves. Amoxicillin, cephalexin, clavamox, or penicillin would be some that might be prescribed. You can get amoxicillin online as Fish Mox 250 mg capsules online.

Thanks so much!

If I already give her one does of Tylan-50, can I switch to amoxicillin and the other two you recommended?

I agree, how does it look? Most people don’t need antibiotics for treatment of bumblefoot. But I would use amoxicillin if I were insistent on using one. That is the mildest, and easiest to get, but would treat staphylococcus. Baytril should be saved for something hard to treat, in my opinion, such as E.coli and mixed gram positive/gram negative infections. It is kind of a super antibiotic, but it is banned by the FDA for poultry, to help prevent antibiotic resistance in humans who eat the eggs or meat.

I agree, how does it look? Most people don’t need antibiotics for treatment of bumblefoot. But I would use amoxicillin if I were insistent on using one. That is the mildest, and easiest to get, but would treat staphylococcus. Baytril should be saved for something hard to treat, in my opinion, such as E.coli and mixed gram positive/gram negative infections. It is kind of a super antibiotic, but it is banned by the FDA for poultry, to help prevent antibiotic resistance in humans who eat the eggs or meat.

Back
Top Bottom