Can i use tylan along with sulfadimethosine

lshipes14

In the Brooder
7 Years
Nov 19, 2012
I need some help. I have a sick chicken, with a chronic respiratory infection. His nostrils are filled with yellow gunk. Standard antibiotics, like the ones I can buy a tractor supply, haven't worked. I have ordered Tylan, and Sulfafimethadine. They both seem to treat different aspects of what my chicken is dealing with. Can I dose him with both antibiotics? Or is it better to use one over the other? Thank you in advance for all your help.

I need some help. I have a sick chicken, with a chronic respiratory infection. His nostrils are filled with yellow gunk. Standard antibiotics, like the ones I can buy a tractor supply, haven't worked. I have ordered Tylan, and Sulfafimethadine. They both seem to treat different aspects of what my chicken is dealing with. Can I dose him with both antibiotics? Or is it better to use one over the other? Thank you in advance for all your help.
Hmmm.. I wouldn't unless a vet told me to, lol. Here is some Tylan dosing info from my vet drug book:

-Kathy

I would use one or the other personally. If one isn't doing what you need don't hesitate to SWITCH over and try the other. Just don't give at the same time in my opinion.hope this helps.

Well I would try the Tylan first but if I didn't start to see improvement I wouldn't hesitate to switch over to the sulpha drug. Just a word to help, sometimes these things are viral and antibiotics won't kill a virus but WILL prevent a secondary illness that can be just as deadly. There is not a way to know if it's viral without testing. So just continue on your treatment plan as usual. If both antibiotics are used and you don't see improvement it's likely viral and up to the birds own system to recover.last year I found out about viral illnesses the hard way. My flock came down with respitory symptoms. I tried Tylan and Baytril but i had no improvements. Sadly I lost the flock. I did some research and discovered it was a viral illness that didn't respond to antibiotics. So all we can do is try. I hope yours is NOT viral but be aware if it is the antibiotics won't kill the virus but will help with deadly secondary infections. So I would try the Tylan first then if no improvement I would immediately switch to the sulpha. If neither work its likely a virus. I hope that's NOT the case with your bird and hope for a full recovery, I just wanted to let you know about viruses. I really hope this helps and I wish you the very best of luck. Please keep us posted on how it's going. Hopefully the antibiotics will do the trick and it's NOT viral. I wish you the best.

Sulfadimethoxine would be best in the case of Coryza. I would first try the Tylan. Recommended dosage is 1/2 cc under the skin on the back of the neck for 5 days. If the bird is over 5 lbs, and additional 1/2 cc is recommended in the breast. Use a 25 gauge needle for that. Some birds can be sensitive to Tylan and the area of injection can become irritated. Just a little redness is common so long as the bird doesn't exhibit prolonged stress. It is best to alternate sides of the breast each day.

If you find that the bird has lots of crust around the nares (nostrils), you want to clear that away. A q-tip dipped in warmed Vet-RX is helpful for that. Encourage the bird to eat well and supplement vitamins-mineral-electrolyte & probiotic powder in the bird's water. Do that after treatment for a couple days as well.

Sulfadimethoxine would be best in the case of Coryza. I would first try the Tylan. Recommended dosage is 1/2 cc under the skin on the back of the neck for 5 days. If the bird is over 5 lbs, and additional 1/2 cc is recommended in the breast. Use a 25 gauge needle for that. Some birds can be sensitive to Tylan and the area of injection can become irritated. Just a little redness is common so long as the bird doesn't exhibit prolonged stress. It is best to alternate sides of the breast each day.

If you find that the bird has lots of crust around the nares (nostrils), you want to clear that away. A q-tip dipped in warmed Vet-RX is helpful for that. Encourage the bird to eat well and supplement vitamins-mineral-electrolyte & probiotic powder in the bird's water. Do that after treatment for a couple days as well.
x2
It sounds like Ishipes14 is dealing with coryza. Birds with coryza exude a fowl odor around the head area. Treatment would be a sulfa based antibiotic and tylan at the same time. Personally, I'd cull the sick bird because coryza will spread to the rest of the flock.

Back
Top Bottom