Can I use woodchips in an uncovered run?

Worriesandwonders

In the Brooder
Aug 17, 2020
I've been trying to find a good bedding for my chicken coop run, but it is uncovered. Im thinking my best options are pea gravel or wood chips, but I don't want to use peagravel due to the heaviness and the fact that the chickens wouldn't be able to scratch as easily. I'm thinking it might also get compacted and it will be harder to rake and flip. Any thoughts?

Yep, wood chippings are the bomb.
Best if you have space to store a huge pile from the tree trimmers.
full

full

full

Yep, wood chippings are the bomb.
Best if you have space to store a huge pile from the tree trimmers.
full

full

full
When I first built a chicken run it was uncovered but had wire on top. When it rained it cleaned the area. I liked that. The red tail hawks and buzzards were an issue, then I covered it with tin. Where I live --I can not use wood chips. It would attract termites. The run is just earth in the Summer and I put hay down in the Winter now.

Isn't it funny how something OBVIOUS doesn't click for the longest time? I've been thinking about what to do with my uncovered runs, and can't believe I didn't consider wood chips.

I have wood mulch in my foundation planting beds, ideally covering up the landscaping fabric underneath and making a pretty background for the few surviving flowers. The girls take great joy in scratching into the mulch, searching for crickets and other critters while uncovering the fabric and watching me sigh deeply in defeat as they destroy everything.

Back
Top Bottom