can I wrap a chicken wound in gauze?

Why do you want to use antibiotics? They do not affect a wound, so even if a chicken is receiving antibiotics in the feed, a wound can still get infected. A topical antibiotic needs to be used.
Also, Blu-Kote not only conceals a wound but also helps to prevent infection.
Someone suggested that I use one of these medications, so I asked what they were. I'm not sure if they are antibiotics...hence my question.

I mentioned Blu Kote because while I know it conceals blood, it wouldn't conceal the blue exposed skin of my silkie, so I mentioned it because ironically I don't need to conceal with the color blue, so that's not an option to keep the chickens away from her wounds....hoping that someone had a better idea.

My hen was ripped to the bone from her comb to her back, one large open wide tear, I got some thick salve from the vet, as thick as axle grease. And just slathered that on everyday. Eventually she was completely healed. No one but me could see where it was. I knew where to look and the feathers were just a tiny bit off kilter. No bandaging, just this thick gel that stopped any bugs, germs etc to get in there.. I separated her for a week or less from the rest of the flock even though they didnt seem to bother with her in any pecking or harassing ways. I just wanted to keep a close eye on her at nights and in the morning.

Back
Top Bottom