can I wrap a chicken wound in gauze?

Lisa202

Songster
9 Years
Aug 20, 2010
Long Island NY
I had a hawk attack yesterday. My great rooster Mister was able to save my silkie, but was killed. I feel so bad about him...he was such a great rooster.
hit.gif

The reason for my post...my silkie has 2 talon wounds on her back, just under each wing. I have her indoors today, washed her wounds and put medicine on it. I really don't want to keep her away from the flock for too long as to avoid integration problems. But I also don't want the others to peck at the wound. Her skin is blue, so it's pointless to put Blu Kote on it, but I don't want to leave the wound exposed either.

So, do you think that I can put gauze around her body (under her wings) and put her back outside in a day or two? I'll make sure the wound is scabbing properly and check it each day. I don't want the others to peck at it, I don't want the wound to get dirty and infected, and I also don't know if she needs a lot of rest to heal and putting her back out with them wouldn't allow her to get the rest she needs.

What do you think?
Thanks

RIP Mister, I'll miss you

I am so sorry for your loss.

You could try the bandage you described and keep an eye on her. If she tangles up or pulls it off, at least you tried. Last year I had a couple of over active roosters and had to make apron/savers for my hens. The ones that I cut too narrow, did slip under their wings. You could try that also. It might protect and keep the wounds clean.

I hope your little girl heals well. It's tragic about your poor Roo.

If the wounds are open, you might wash them with a 50/50 solution of Iodine/Water and then put some Neosporin (without the pain killer) on them. Depending on the size of the wound, I would probably leave them open. The Neosporin will keep the area moist so the wounds can heal. If the wounds aren't noticeable she can go back with the flock.

After she joins the flock just watch to make sure the other hens aren't bothering her. If you keep her out of the flock too long she will have to be introduced as a new chicken. I hope this helps. I have had 2 hawk attacks in the past and on the same hen! I ended up stitching her crop with 14 stitches and immediately put her back in the flock with no trouble.

Sorry for the loss of your rooster, Mister.

Wishing you all the best.

Last edited:
If you have any abx on hand, it would be a good idea to give them to her now. I would think a hawks talons are full of germs. Tylan or denagard would probably be good. If the dressing doesn't work out, you could bring a friend inside with her. Integration is easier with 2 birds.

If the wounds are open, you might wash them with a 50/50 solution of Iodine/Water and then put some Neosporin (without the pain killer) on them. If they aren't noticeable she can go back with the flock. After she joins the flock just watch to make sure the other hens aren't bothering her. If you keep her out of the flock too long she will have to be introduced as a new chicken. I hope this helps. I have had 2 hawk attacks in the past and on the same hen! I ended up stitching her crop with 14 stitches and immediately put her back in the flock with no trouble.

Sorry for the loss of your rooster, Mister.

Wishing you all the best.
Good info!!

Thank you AZBootsie. I am always so grateful to get advice when I need it and I try to advice when I can. It's comforting to know that there is great support here on BYC. Have a great day.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for your advice and sympathies.

The wounds are noticeable because there are no feathers there. I did put Xenodine on the wounds already. It says to reapply 3 times a day.

I'd really like to avoid keeping her out too long. I recently had a vent prolapse that took about a week to go away and I had a hard time putting her back with the others and she was the top hen.

Abx, talon or denegard I'm am assuming are antibiotics? I know I have Vet RX (it says it's good for for colds, roup, scaly legs and eye worm) the ingredients seem to be organic. You think I can use this?

Be careful not to rinse too much with any Iodine solution because it kills off the good and bad cells and prevents healing. Rinsing now with warm water will be fine, then apply the neosporin without the pain killer. (I spoke to a RNP yesterday who has done research on wound care and she agreed.) The wound will remain moist using the antibiotic ointment and that will help it heal. I hope this helps.

Be careful not to rinse too much with any Iodine solution because it kills off the good and bad cells and prevents healing. Rinsing now with warm water will be fine, then apply the neosporin without the pain killer. (I spoke to a RNP yesterday who has done research on wound care and she agreed.) The wound will remain moist using the antibiotic ointment and that will help it heal. I hope this helps.
Not picking on you, just curious because I cannot find any info on why this is bad. And when I say info, I mean someplace other than BYC and websites/articles written by non-veterinarians.

Thanks everyone for your advice and sympathies.

The wounds are noticeable because there are no feathers there. I did put Xenodine on the wounds already. It says to reapply 3 times a day.

I'd really like to avoid keeping her out too long. I recently had a vent prolapse that took about a week to go away and I had a hard time putting her back with the others and she was the top hen.

Abx, talon or denegard I'm am assuming are antibiotics? I know I have Vet RX (it says it's good for for colds, roup, scaly legs and eye worm) the ingredients seem to be organic. You think I can use this?

Why do you want to use antibiotics? They do not affect a wound, so even if a chicken is receiving antibiotics in the feed, a wound can still get infected. A topical antibiotic needs to be used.
Also, Blu-Kote not only conceals a wound but also helps to prevent infection.

Back
Top Bottom