Can injured leg cause death?

theBRINK

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 10, 2011
Gulf Coast Mississippi
Hi all,
I am raising a flock of chicks that were given to me by a hatchery for designing some business cards for them (gotta love the barter system!) I have around 30 chicks that are getting bigger by the second. They are now about 4 months old and have been fighting a bit. Last week I found two that were limping. One had bloody wing tips from the others pecking it and the other was limping slightly. I separated them immediately and placed them into an empty rabbit cage. They seem to get along just fine, but their health seems to be deteriorating quickly. Upon examination, there are no wounds and their faces and eyes seem healthy, but they just lay around and fall over on their backs.

I went to check on them today and I thought they were dead by how they were laying. They are eating and drinking. I just can't figure out what happened? Any advice would be great. Thanks in advance!

"bum legs" can be a sign of a severe worm infestation. They become extremely weak and it displays as leg problems since they start having a hard time walking. I would give the entire flock Valbazen NOW and again in 10 days. Good luck!

Hi all,
I am raising a flock of chicks that were given to me by a hatchery for designing some business cards for them (gotta love the barter system!) I have around 30 chicks that are getting bigger by the second. They are now about 4 months old and have been fighting a bit. Last week I found two that were limping. One had bloody wing tips from the others pecking it and the other was limping slightly. I separated them immediately and placed them into an empty rabbit cage. They seem to get along just fine, but their health seems to be deteriorating quickly. Upon examination, there are no wounds and their faces and eyes seem healthy, but they just lay around and fall over on their backs.

I went to check on them today and I thought they were dead by how they were laying. They are eating and drinking. I just can't figure out what happened? Any advice would be great. Thanks in advance!
Overcrowed conditions will cause picking/pecking/fighting. For 30 birds ensure you have plenty of waterers and feeders, a good size coop as well. If there are roosters in the group, they will be competing/sparring/fighting over the hens. All your birds will also be establishing the pecking order, there will be rumbles. I suspect your two sick birds were in a scuffle with others and possibly got injured or stressed to the point that they almost became eggbound and simply needed a quiet place to lay their eggs. Let the two birds remain caged til their legs heal, it'll take time. Provide them with feed and water as well.

Last edited:
thanks for the input and knowledge! The chicks are in a 16'x6' coop at night and free range in the day. but I will definitely add more water and food sources and am on my way to the feed store for some Valbazen as soon as I get off work. I think that may be it. Can worms cause sudden death with no symptoms? I've had a few die with no apparent problems. Thanks again!

thanks for the input and knowledge! The chicks are in a 16'x6' coop at night and free range in the day. but I will definitely add more water and food sources and am on my way to the feed store for some Valbazen as soon as I get off work. I think that may be it. Can worms cause sudden death with no symptoms? I've had a few die with no apparent problems. Thanks again!

There are usually indications of a bird being lethargic, not foraging with others, rarely eating or drinking or laying eggs if they have a worm infestation. Most likely you would see worms in feces. Mites can take a chicken down quickly, inspect them for lice/mites as well.

Back
Top Bottom